The Sewing Place

The Poppins Return Project 2019

b15erk

Re: The Poppins Return Project 2019
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:17 AM »
Well, I went back to the original fabric, and glad I did.  It looks very nice - just hoping it fits now!

I had a bit of an issue with the collar.  It's an old Burda Magazine pattern, with minimal instructions and bare minimum pattern markings.  Lots of unpicking, made worse because the fabric frays like the devil.

I also cut a skirt out, as I had an idea to turn the toile into a separate outfit if the fit was good.

This idea is turning into a serious possibility as DD informed me last night that Lilya is going to a Mary Poppins themed activity on Saturday.  Can I finish a wearble garment in time??

We'll see.....

Pics to follow.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
OK, Pics as promised.

Please feel free to make any suggestions regarding style/fit - I need the help on this.

Bear in mind it was only meant as a toile, so hasn't been 'finished' in any way, just a bit of O/L just to control the fraying.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 15:56:09 PM »
Well, progress has been made!  The blouse toile is looking OK, and I've figured out the sewing bit more or less.  I actually like the tie dyed fabric I used, but it's the wrong colour....

Plus side: the style is good, although the collar needs some alteration.  The flounces I cut for the collar, were better on the right side than the left, it just means I need to cut from smaller circles, and a pleat or two on the front corner would look better.  The front band is a tad too wide, and the bow is too big, but both of those are details.

I'm pretty pleased though, although my fingers are crossed about the fit, it seems rather big.  :S

It will be a faux blouse as it is, with the fastening being at the back and buttons for decoration at the front.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:17 AM »
On a roll, and plenty of ideas.  Is that part of the reason for making the toile?  Because as soon as my ideas moved from the paper pattern and notebook, to actually sewing, the ideas seemed a lot clearer.  Proportions too were more apparent, and I need to scale some things down.  I'll be making a few more of these blouses because they will be used in different ways.

The painted bodice is for the pink and white dress, so I have some time to figure that out (Easter deadline), but I now have a better idea of where I'm going with it after doing the toile.  Many thanks to all of you who contributed to my other thread about painting fabric, it really helped me to see what is and is not going to be possible.

This particular outfit, is not really part of the MP ensemble, it's just using the toile to do a Poppin-ish costume for an activity on Saturday, so there is no pressure there.  ;)

I've already cut out a blouse pattern using the bodice pattern as a base.  I have an idea that if it is too big, I can alter it using the darts and taking them up into the shoulders - it does look quite wide.  Other than that, it will be straightforward, just a cheap poly cotton print.

Spit Spot!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »
Not a lot done to the blouse yesterday.  Busy at work, and then sore eyes when I got home...

I managed to do the darts though, and pin the sleeves in place ready for sewing.  I'm hoping that I get a bit more done today, and at least have it ready to try on tonight. I'm doing a faux button band at the front, and poppers at the back - it is only a costume after all.  So I've brought the snaps in to work to try them out.

Jessie

fajita

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 16:19:02 PM »
I'm sure I saw an ad on to last night for a game show, The Chase, which had the clever question lady wearing a similar looking painted style blouse.

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 16:33:06 PM »
Oh Wow!  Thank you!  Wonder if it's a new trend?  Better get practising!

Jessie

sewingj

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 17:14:45 PM »
Blimey @fajita we watch The Chase every night and I had never noticed that about Anne`s blouse!

Jessie it`s wonderful to see you back on such good form!

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »
I'm a very Happy Nana this morning!

Lilya was over the moon with her Poppins outfit, although it's far from wearable - and the hat and gloves that Grandad ordered from Amazon make her look like OddJob!!

So, jobs for today, to make a wearable toile for tomorrow.

Take in both the blouse and jacket - through the darts will be best as the shoulders on both are too wide. Shorten and finish both off, and if I have time, add cuffs to the blouse.  Lilya loves the big Leg o' mutton sleeves so I'll leave them (I was going to take some of the fullness out).  I'm using poppers for both - the blouse is back fastening, and I'll use metal snaps, the jacket will have handsewn poppers so that I can sew buttons on top.

The skirt just needs the elastic making permanent, and generally tidying up. Lilya loves the tiny 'bustle' arrangement at the back.  I may also look for something buckle-like for the front waistband.

I would like to make her a petticoat, but doubt I'll have time.

Weekend jobs - dress toile, and cutting the coat out in the Poppins fabric!

I would like to make her a petticoat, but doubt I'll have time.

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
Looks lovely and you can tell how pleased she is with it.

If they remake Goldfinger in the near future, you will have the startings of another dressing up outfit  ;)

Ellabella

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »
That’s absolutely fabulous Jessie!

Wonderful to see the smile on Lilya’s face she couldn’t have a better Nana.

Missie

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »
Oh love her!  Just look at her little face, she is delighted!  And so she should be.  The outfit looks fab Jessie!

Nevis5

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 13:20:44 PM »
Oh that's so lovely!  And your little granddaughter is so thrilled, what a lucky little girl she is to have such a wonderful granny xxx

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 13:32:20 PM »
That's lovelyJessie.
I'm a bad Grandma as I used to buy ( they're too old for dressing up now ) dressing up outfits from Asda / Sainsburys. :devil: But then, I can't really sew properly  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D