The Sewing Place

The Poppins Return Project 2019

b15erk

Re: The Poppins Return Project 2019
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
Well, I finished this little outfit, but the Poppins event didn't materialise, so it's still hanging up in the sewing room, but, after making alterations I'm hoping that the fit will be vastly improved.  I found a bit of red taffeta to make a bow for the blouse, but the next one doesn't need to be quite so big!  ;)

I spent yesterday practising my frills an flounces, and cutting out the bodice of the prototype pink striped dress.  The fabric is a slippy slidey poly crepe, so I've interfaced the bodice parts, and I'll be interfacing the top part of the sleeve as well, to help the puff out.

I've got a good idea of how the frills will work now, but with this fabric, they may need interfacing as well - unless I use a layer of net under each frill....

I've added a few finished pics....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 15:06:55 PM »
I don't believe it!!

I know it's only a toile, and I know the proper outfit will have a plain bodice, but I did want this to be a dress which could be used in the dressing up box, and so I took time interfacing the bodice, and placing it on the stripes to get a chevron effect front and back.

Well, I did it with a bad back and very sore eyes (get the violins out), and this is the result.

It looks like a candy cane!

Arrggghhhh!  :angry:

That'll teach me! 

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 16:47:31 PM »
Oh no Jessie - does this mean you aren`t practically perfect in every way?!

(Still looks very good to me)

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »
The project went a bit quiet last week as I had sore eyes.  But, I was up at stupid o'clock on Sunday and just crashed on with the skirt.

I decided to build it onto a base, and used a sturdy cotton for this (sheeting).  It's worked well, and the only problems I've had have been in the order of work, and the shortage of the main fabric.  It's also pulled in a bit, and looks as if it may be a bit snug, so I've decided to put a placket at the side opening and I'll leave it unfinished for adjustments.

The bow is separate atm until I work out how to attach it, although I'm really pleased with how it looks.

The only thing I'm not too happy with is the front swag(?), it should drape, but isn't doing so.  Any suggestions??  I've tried a different option, but not too keen on how it looks.  I have virtually no fabric left, so I'll have to be a bit inventive here.

The lining still needs to be attached, waistband and plackets done, but the decision on the front swag will need to be done before I do any of that.

This was meant to be a first toile, but I'm rather hoping it fits, because it drapes so nicely.  The other fabrics I have will not drape half as well.

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
That's looking fab Jessie.  What is the fabric?  The only thing I can suggest for the swag is to wash it several times if it is a fabric that will go softer and drape better after washing.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 09:28:21 AM »
The drawn picture looks as if it would need a lot more fabric in the length to achieve those deep folds. The only thing I can think of is to do lines of gathering across the area where you want the folds so that the areas between would puff forward. Does that make sense? At least if it didn't work you could pull it out and you're no worse off.

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »
Plosh, it's a very fluid fine crepe fabric.  It hangs beautifully but isn't great quality, and I had to use spray starch to make it behave.

I'm going to have a look to see exactly how much fabric I have left, and give it another go.

Jessie

Missie

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
I think it looks fine Jessie.  No-one else will know that it is not how you want it, only the perfectionist in you (not meant as a criticism!)

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
Too lat Missie - I've just removed the offending 'swag'.

Just Googling how to correct it!  ;) :S

Jessie

DementedFairy

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 13:05:46 PM »
No idea if this is of any help at this stage [first time I've seen this thread I think].  It was usual to conserve fabric by making the concealed parts of the lower skirt out of any old plain fabric, as it would be covered by the sway/apron..  Perhaps you could salvage a bit? 
Otherwise, perhaps using some plain fabric with the striped part, do a bit of dark-sidery, and go for it.  the stripes will look asymmetric once you're finished anyway, and you could gain quite a bit of extra yardage that way. 
Underlining also often helps with the drape, as does a bit of judicious bias and [as mentioned before] some hidden stitches here and there to catch it all in place
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 14:45:30 PM »
Thank you all, some great advice here.  :)  I've made a few adjustments and fingers crossed they will improve things.  I'm loathe to cut anything off the  apron (swag) (thanks DF), as I have so little fabric left, so I will put a few stitches in here and there.  I have also interlined the swag piece to try to help it drape a little better.

I can't do anything more as I need to do some work today!

I'll have another go tonight.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
I'm failing miserably with the drape on this front piece.  Apart from not draping well, it's hanging too low.  If I gather the sides to shorten it, it shows the under fabric.

So, I spent some time piecing leftovers to cover the yoke shaped bit at the top, so that no white will peek through.  Still not figured out the drape, but at least there will be no white flash if the underneath peeks through.

I think this may return to being the first toile.... :S

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
This project has lapsed shamefully, overtaken by other more urgent projects at work and home.

But, it is urgently needed for World Book Day on Thursday, so I sprinkled Duracell dust on my toast, and got stuck in at the weekend.

First job was to fix the 'apron' draping.  It took ages but it looks acceptable now, but will have to be discretely stitched to hold the drape. 

Next up the collar.  What a faff and a fiddle, it took me several hours to get the front to look as I wanted.  I'd also planned to put the sleeves in, but that didn't happen.  I'll do that today.

I'm seriously thinking of using an elasticated waistband, I think it will take the weight of the skirt better.  We'll see...

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:12 AM »
No further on I'm afraid - work intervened, and my eyes were so sore when I got home that I couldn't do any last night.

However, I am hopeful that today I will make progress.  I have the plumber coming to the house at 2, so that means leaving work early  :), so I may, will get further on.

I did manage to order buttons, but I am aware that they may not arrive in time, so I may have to use what I have.  -<

Wish me luck.  :S

Jessie

PollyWally

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 23:21:54 PM »
That outfit is looking gorgeous, I hope you manage to finish in time.