The Sewing Place

Nightdress pattern suggestions

annieeg

Nightdress pattern suggestions
« on: January 24, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »
Hi,
Does anyone know of a semi-fitted, sleeveless nightdress pattern (any length) which has thinnish (not spaghetti) straps?
Thanks in advance.
Annieeg :D

b15erk

Re: Nightdress pattern suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
Hi Annie, the butterick pattern I did before Christmas is lovely, and doesn't have spaghetti straps.

Butterick 5963

I made the pyjamas, but I fully intend to make a few nighties for the summer.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - further research finds Butterick B5792 which is on sale!

@Francesca
I did search Lekala for nightwear but only found very exotic (put me in mind of "Agent Provocateur"...) patterns.
What key words did you use in your search?
Annieeg

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »
That's a lovely pattern Annie, it has a pyjama option as well.

I really like the nightwear I made for my hols, it fits really nicely, and I feel very comfortable in it. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
Kwik Sew usually have some nice patterns for nightwear.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 13:31:21 PM »
I went to find the pattern I use for nighties - like this one:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

...and discovered it was Designer Stitch's Frida dress pattern crossed with the Blank Slate Valetta top, and with the straps narrowed a bit.

I'm not sure whether that's helpful or just entertaining!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 13:34:43 PM »
That's a lovely garment !
Annie

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 19:00:47 PM »
What you want a nightdress for,  I've got one,my just in case hospital one.  Dressing gowns, I've got about six.  So much cooler in the nude, especially when it's hot.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 22:36:06 PM »
I have been searching for nightdresses, for my hospital stay @Gernella !
Unable to find anything so I have ordered B5963 and I will adapt it to suit me.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »
Mine was an unexpected stay @Greybird. I went in for gall bladder  removal by keyhole, they then discovered it was stuck to my bowel so it was the full monte and I had to stay in.  DH had to scrabble round to find me a nightdress so he finished up in Peacocks in Retford and asked for the assistants help (typical, loves to talk). It was something like this:

https://www.peacocks.co.uk/moderate-nightshirt-287058.html

I keep thinking I really ought to get another one, just in case.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
Another one who would be caught short....

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »
Yep, I have never worn anything in bed, so, hopefully no hospital stay for me ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
I caused myself a problem with this. Having made a new dressing gown - my entry in the Stash-busting contest - I was trying to find something without a pattern on (that fabric definitely doesn't want any competition in the pattern aspect). I haven't made anything like this before so I am quite looking forward to it.

Clareew

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 20:37:50 PM »
I am always freezing cold at night and wear a long sleeved nighty and often socks too.  After my mastectomy my left arm is always very cold and in the summer I often wear a nighty with one sleeve.  I usually buy them from Landsend in their sale.  I am about to have my 8th spinal operation and usually just wear the hospital gowns for my hospital stay, I have taken nighties  but they are too hot with the hospital heating.