The Sewing Place

Potential Problem

Iminei

Potential Problem
« on: April 05, 2017, 18:50:38 PM »
Today  I have been cutting my fabrics for the upcoming Jan Hassard class on Saturday.

I finished and decided to have a play and make a practice block.
Got The Splurge out (top loading bobbin), Threaded it up and off I went.

On inspecting the seams I saw that there was bad tension and noticed that the bobbin thread  hadn't done that lying across the bobbin spool thing.

Tried threading up again, turned the wqheel to draw up the bobbim thread....same thing...and again...and again
Out of five re-threads I think I got one proper draw up with the bobbin thread lying across the bobbin spool

Potential problem...but Why????

Help please!!!!

(Apologies for the dreadful description)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

Re: Potential Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 18:52:36 PM »
What make/name number is the Splurge ?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 19:05:12 PM »
You did put the bobbin in the right way round, didn't you? It's easy to get it round the wrong way, even when you know what you're doing...how do I know this?

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 19:06:41 PM »
I have done that too, bobbin the wrong way.  Have you tried a new needle?  It sounds like the hook on the race is not picking up the thread.
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 20:43:26 PM »
Are they genuine Janome bobbins? 

I bought some cheapish Prym brand bobbins supposedly the same as the genuine Husqvarna bobbins but the machine doesn't like them.  It is difficult to get the thread lying behind the tension clip.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 21:46:05 PM »
I've had problems with bobbins from.the market not being the same as the more expensive Janome ones.  :(
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
Thanks Girls * for your replies

I have bought a bobbin case complete with bobbins but that was a couple of years ago so can't say for sure if its a genuine Janome bobbin or a Shanghai Surprise, also this is a new development (ish)

I will try The Splurge (aka Janome Atelier 5, Vege) out again today or tomorrow and if the problem persists might even splurge on a set of genuine J bobbins and mark them so I know the difference.

New needle??? really...might as well give it a go, tho I know the current one is not that old...
(Please don't ask me why  :[ )

I will update you later, but I do need everything to be spot on for the class, its really intense...Come with your prep done and heads down all the way!

This is the desired result....

and here is a lil practice that I did yesterday (with the bad tension)

* I know Im being very un-PC but I don't see any boys reading my posts...so Yar Boo Sucks !

maliw

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
Hope you get things sorted, sometimes all that is needed is to step away and when you go back the problem will be obvious. Nice quilt, do I detect a lot of HSTs?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 22:31:36 PM »
Beautiful quilts Imi.  Have you sorted out your bobbin problem yet?  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »
Thx Girls, I set up the machine when I came in from work yesterday morning and ...no problem!!??!!

You should've seen Imself's face when he walked in to find me apparently set up to sew the day away!! Picture perfect!

'Cos of course yesterday morning was D Day minus 8..... Ie the carpet fitter was due in 8 hours which meant furniture had to be moved and crammed into the rest of our minuscule domicile.... and sewing was most definitely on the agenda!!

Off to the WS in an hour and a half...so better get ready!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:09:16 AM by Iminei »

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 07:07:10 AM »
So glad that the machine has sorted itself out  it has had its little sulk and is now ready for yet another beautiful masterpiece.  Enjoy your day.  Look forward to seeing your efforts from the workshop.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
Thx El.
I bought a pack of Genuine Janome bobbins, wound one and The Splurge was as good as gold...

Probably would have been with the naughty bobbin of the day before but I wasn't taking any chances.
I'm going to mark them so I know which are Genuine Janome.