The Sewing Place

Just joined

aprilla

Just joined
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
Hi
I've taken out my sewing machine again (Janome SMD1000) in hopes of using up fabrics bought in enthusiastic bargain beginner mode a few years back, much of it a mistake if I'm honest  :P
Garments (pants/tops) are my main interest and I look forward to going through the posts here to get me into gear, get ideas and maybe keep me on track. I've promised myself if I get through some of this fabric stash I'll be able to buy more purposefully... 
I knit and crochet as well and have a bit of interest in learning - is it called embellishing? - fabrics to add a little interest.

Nice to be here :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:09:17 AM by aprilla »

b15erk

Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
Hi there aprilla!  Welcome to TSP.  Lots of knowledge to be found here, and many experience sewists who are happy to help.

Grab yourself a brew, and join the fun.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 13:03:49 PM »
Hello, you’ll get lots of help and support here.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 13:33:15 PM »
Welcome @aprilla. If you have stash fabric that you've fallen out of love with, use it for toiles, try selling it on or even giving it away. Spending precious time making garments from fabric you don't like is a recipe for disappointment. It's even more likely when you've just returned after not sewing for a while. Looking forward to seeing what you make.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

fajita

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 13:35:47 PM »
Welcome @aprilla  :drink:   :flower:

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 13:46:28 PM »
Another welcome from not quite as far west as you.
Why did you give up before?  Did other things (life) get in the way or wasn't it going as well as you wanted it to or something else?
Life's too short for ironing.

aprilla

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 13:55:18 PM »
Thanks all ... I've been having a wander around and wow! I didn't realise the extent of this place. Does it count for sewing time if I place the machine beside me while I read, maybe read bits out loud to it? I'm hoping so, I have a lot to get through.

Welcome @aprilla. If you have stash fabric that you've fallen out of love with, use it for toiles, try selling it on or even giving it away. Spending precious time making garments from fabric you don't like is a recipe for disappointment. It's even more likely when you've just returned after not sewing for a while. Looking forward to seeing what you make.

Yes, toiles, this makes sense thanks. I'd be slow to get rid of it as some of it might be OK once I've learned a bit more, and I'm remote so picking up more means online and that means postage and time.
I never realised there was as much - or maybe more - to learning about fabrics as there is about actual sewing. Some fabrics actually want to be something, and not necessarily what you thought to make with them LOL
Experimenting with what I've collected should help a bit.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 13:59:40 PM »
Hello aprilla,

fáilte romhat chuig TSP.   :)

Which county are you in? I’m a blow in, in West Cork.

Looking forward to nattering with you and finding out which are your favourite fabric shops.    :woof: :thread:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 14:01:38 PM »
I have no idea how/why I posted a dog emoji in my last post??  :S

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 14:09:09 PM »
Another welcome from not quite as far west as you.
Why did you give up before?  Did other things (life) get in the way or wasn't it going as well as you wanted it to or something else?

Hi Ploshkin ... I can't really say I gave it up, more a time out, it might be about a year since I sewed. Back then I was a beginner and got on fairly well, wearing what I was making... then I started getting braver, making little pattern adjustments etc and all of a sudden the possibilities just became too much. A natural ditherer (lol) I just couldn't focus, decide what to make, so I put it away. I think I needed the breathing space.
I'm hoping I can face into it better this time round. Make decisions and at least use up the fabric!

aprilla

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 14:22:49 PM »
Hello aprilla,

fáilte romhat chuig TSP.   :)

Which county are you in? I’m a blow in, in West Cork.

Looking forward to nattering with you and finding out which are your favourite fabric shops.    :woof: :thread:

Hi WWW, I'm on the WWW in Clare, near Miltown Malbay (about halfway between Doonbeg and Lahinch).
I don't actually have any fabric shops, favourite or otherwise. So far I've done all my buying online mostly through eBay except a few bits in Joanne's when my son was going back and forth to the USA. My sister picks it up using coupons and he carries it back for me ... they are good to me. But he's not travelling so much now, maybe just as well  ;) I like fabric (and yarn). I guess Limerick and Galway, both ~2 hours away, have Hickey's but I've not shopped them yet.

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 14:35:28 PM »
Hi @aprilla - welcome from me too. Lovely part of the world you're living in. It's nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing what you decide to make. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

hernibs

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 15:24:57 PM »
Hello and welcome Aprilla - can't manage a Gaelic greeting like Wild Atlantic Way - I'm one of a few from the North...(Mid Ulster)...and although I'm here and feel at home I don't do a lot of sewing like most folks here...I do have a stash of fabric but I do other work from home and time is limited.....very limited and I would love to tell my customers to go elsewhere (but there is no elsewhere) while I get the machine out and back to making something for myself.
Best Wishes on all your endeavours - there is lots of help here both about sewing and any other topic in the journey of life!

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 15:37:42 PM »
Welcome, Aprila.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.