The Sewing Place

Hatty McHatface

DementedFairy

Hatty McHatface
« on: January 26, 2019, 20:16:46 PM »
I'm FINALLY having a go at one of the patterns in the Japanese sewing book I bought from someone on the Forum years ago....
I've gazed adoringly at the lovely pictures, fondled the fold out pattern sheets, stared in horror at the japanese instructions...and done nothing
But now, armed with a fairly sizeable piece of the cashmere coat fabric, what better to make?

I've managed to decipher some of the symbols by sheer dint of common sense, and traced [yes, traced- MOI] all the pattern pieces.  I then made the changes required to the brim shape according to the diagram, cut it out...and realised I'd done it wrong.  Bollocks.  So I did it again, and this time it looks OK.

Ready to start assembling as soon as I do the interfacing for the brim, and decide what I should use for lining...

I don't want it to go all static-y when I take my hat off, so I guess the acetate lining I used for the coat is a bad idea?

Any help please?  I have all sorts of stuff in stash of course, but I don't want to mess this up too badly...

This is the book

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 20:18:38 PM by DementedFairy »
C'est moi!

DementedFairy

Re: Hatty McHatface
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 20:22:38 PM »
...and the hat I want to make is the one on the left in this image

Which I think is pretty damn cute
C'est moi!

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 20:56:37 PM »
Great hat. My only hat experience failed due to sizing. I'm sure you'll do much better!

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 22:09:49 PM »
I have a HUGE head, but it looks like their biggest size should suffice.  I've cut slightly larger seam allowances than needed to be on the safe side.  I'm trying to incorprate the leftover astrakhan on the brim too, but can't decide which way up to do it...red on top/upper brim, or underside?

TOO MANY DECISIONS
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 22:18:08 PM »
Your best bet for not getting static is good old cotton.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
I would use silk for the lining. It will "polish" your hair while you've got it on. I remember reading, years ago, that wearing a silk scarf wrapped round your head had a conditioning effect on the hair and removed static. It won't drag at your hair when you take it off either. It's a lovely hat and I look forward to seeing it done.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
Loooove the title of this thread ... Loooove the look of the hat .....

and when you conquer that, if you ever feel the need to take on Japanese bag making, to go with your no doubt exquisite new Japanese hat I have a couple of those beautiful pattern books too

linky

linky
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
I think it's narrowed down to the remnant of crepe marocain, or some of the silk/cotton blend...time to stash dive
C'est moi!

Missie

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »
I would use silk for the lining. It will "polish" your hair while you've got it on. I remember reading, years ago, that wearing a silk scarf wrapped round your head had a conditioning effect on the hair and removed static. It won't drag at your hair when you take it off either. It's a lovely hat and I look forward to seeing it done.

Definitely silk for all of the above reasons and that a fancy hat deserves a fancy lining!

Sewbusy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 15:31:45 PM »
How's the hat going? I have an abundance of 2 ply Thai silk fabric to offload and will happily donate some if it's suitable for purpose.

Sadly only one colour which is a sort of peach.

Pat