The Sewing Place

Child's first machine

Button moon

Child's first machine
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
I want to buy my grand daughter a sewing machine for her 8th birthday. Under my supervision, she has used a small Brother Innovis which I have, but I'd like to get her something a little more basic, and less pricey as she may not take to sewing and I don't want to waste too much money!!! I've looked at a few up to about £100 but until you try them you don't really know how good ... or bad, they are. Thanks in advance. X

Greybird

Re: Child's first machine
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
I can't make a recommendation one way or the other I'm afraid. One thing you might like to bear in mind though is the foot pedal. I had my grand- daughter, at 10, using my machine last year and she had trouble reaching the foot pedal. She is fairly long-legged, but the only way she could use it was when I propped it up on a low foot-stool. It wasn't an ideal solution though because it wouldn't stay put.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »
You're right to be cautious. I gave my GDs ( then aged 15,11, 9 and 8 ) my old Brother machine when I upgraded 3 yrs ago. They used it a couple of times, then told me it was broken and after being mended it has never seen the light of day again  :( I wouldn't spend much  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 13:02:40 PM »
My Brother 130 has the advantage of being usable by littlies because you can detach the foot pedal and use it by the stop/go button. It wasn't £100 but it wasn't expensive either. Create and Craft regularly do offers on it and it sells out every time; people have one for home and one for the caravan!  0_0
It will grow with her too as it has funky stitches and several feet.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

aprilla

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 13:39:31 PM »
I can't help with machines but I think it's a great thing to do :)
With kids there's always a chance they won't continue whatever the current 'thing' is but without the equipment nothing can happen. And a lot of us learned, gave it up and then returned to it, so it's well worth doing. Is there a machine in the price range that will accept any feet or other bits and bobs that you already have and would share? Those can add up real fast.... and I think kids enjoy thread painting and embroidery so feed dogs that drop would be a good feature.
Really, I think keeping a supply of fabric etc etc could be the real cost here!

muss

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 15:59:19 PM »
You should look at some of the Chinese ones which are quite cheap less then £100,  my niece is using one and its quite easy to use, if I find the link I will send it to you if you want

KayK

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 17:11:28 PM »
As a vintage machine owner, I would go for an old hand crank machine - no problems with reaching a foot pedal, and the speed won't be terrifying!  There are lots of good ones about (some of the Singers have round bobbins that are easy to wind) and they aren't a horrendous price, if she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore.  They also have a plethora of different feet to have fun with as well.  You won't have to worry about losing money or if it 'goes out of fashion' They also rarely have hissy fits!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Button moon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 19:09:49 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replies, I do value you're opinions and especially those based on experience. We did buy my GD a small toy machine a couple of years ago but it was more of a felting stitch, it could only be used on certain fabric which it bonded together rather than stitched. This caused her a lot of frustration, that's why I let her have a go on my little Brother machine. I think I'll pop into hobbycraft just to look at the quality of the machines. Thanks again, everyone x

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 19:23:19 PM »
@Button moon , first, welcome to TSP. Hope you'll come visit now and then, as it sounds like you sew as well.

Thank you for wanting to get a decent machine. At 100GBP, roughly $132 USD you should be able to get a very suitable machine for a young sewist. I can't advise on a specific machine as I'm in the US and we only have a little overlap on models. But I would second a Brother, as they have decent machines in that price range. Getting one that has the variable sewing speeds and doesn't have to use the foot petal is nice and can be a lot of fun to use.

Some of the other suggestions would really vary depending on the child. I'm tall, was already 5' 3" by her age and 5' 7 1/2 by 10, so reaching the pedal was never a problem. If you need a stool or such use a wooden one and either a shelf liner or rug mat to keep it in place. Or duct tape. The hand crank suggested is an interesting option. I don't know; When little I always wanted both hands on the fabric, plus I'm left handed, so I'd have needed a designated cranker to be able to sew a stitch.

Thanks too for being willing to gamble a bit of money on a machine. I used to see women in the big sewing stores getting a super cheap/ junky machine for a child/grandchild in case they didn't like it. A junky machine is the best way to turn a child off the hobby before they even get started.

What you might consider if she lives close by and you see her on a regular basis is keep the machine at your house and work on projects together until she is competent enough and comfortable doing bobbins, threading and other basic skills. Then have her take it home if she wishes.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
I couldn't recommend the entry level Janome highly enough.  I bought if for my daughter when she was about 9.  She couldn't reach the pedal on the floor but putting it on one of those children's steps it was perfect.  It was lightweight and had enough stitches for her.  I used it for a while whilst my machine was out of action and it wasn't robust enough for me although did what I needed it to.  Think I paid £100 for it and it came with other goodies as well. 

eclectic

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
I can recommend the Smarter by Pfaff  … I bought and used it to teach the children classes. It is easy to use and also has the start and stop button if they can't reach the pedal and it has a speed control which I always set for slow for them. I don't know what price that goes at though ...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 13:38:52 PM »
I hadn't heard of this one, but I looked it up and although they have good reviews, they are about £200 here.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

blackcat001

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 16:36:02 PM »
As a vintage machine owner, I would go for an old hand crank machine - no problems with reaching a foot pedal, and the speed won't be terrifying!  There are lots of good ones about (some of the Singers have round bobbins that are easy to wind) and they aren't a horrendous price, if she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore.  They also have a plethora of different feet to have fun with as well.  You won't have to worry about losing money or if it 'goes out of fashion' They also rarely have hissy fits!

Totally agree with the above! The first proper machine I had was access to my Mum's hand cranked Singer. One stitch only, a straight stitch, no zigzag.. Nothing else. I made many a *thing* on it.  :D

It was only once I got a machine of my own (as an adult) that I got a machine with a zig-zag.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 22:02:19 PM »
Mine sew on an Elna grasshopper.... the knee lever is brilliant for them because it’s at the height of their legs on a high chair, it’s very tiny with good visibility all round... and the belt is a bit loose so if they go too firm the wheels slip and it stops :)

I really ought to get it out and sew with them again:)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132