The Sewing Place

Hello from S. Glos UK

Lorenaserafina

Hello from S. Glos UK
« on: January 27, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Hello, I was going to say hello from Bristol UK but I see there is a thread with that name already! So hello from another newbie from Bristol.

I'm Lorna, I have been sewing since I was a child. I grew up with my mum always sewing something, and I joined in. Sadly none of my 3 daughters caught the sewing bug.

I have sewn lots of different things over the years, starting with soft toys and dolls clothes. I sewed clothes for my children when they were little until it became uncool to wear something handsewn by your mum, and then when it became cool again (prom dresses). I've made curtains and cushions, wedding dresses and bridesmaids dresses, done alterations for people, dabbled in patchwork. Had an obsession for cross stitch for about a decade.

My current passion is belly dance, and making costumes and practice clothes for dance. From the stereotypical two piece bra and skirt, to 25yard gypsy skirts. Also more contemporary dance clothing, fancy dress, tribal and steampunk.

I am interested in adapting paper patterns to get the look I'm aiming for, and discussing different types of fabrics, and looking for embellishment ideas.

Great to be here :-)

fajita

Re: Hello from S. Glos UK
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
Welcome @Lorenaserafina  :flower: :drink:

I believe we have another member who makes belly dance costumes, too.

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »
Welcome, Lorna.
I know we also have a member who is very interested in steampunk.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
Welcome @Lorenaserafina  :flower: :drink:

I believe we have another member who makes belly dance costumes, too.

Oh cool :-) I look forward to 'meeting' them :-)

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
Welcome to TSP
 :sew: :fabric: =8 :frock: :thread:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
@Roger  is the belly dancing expert.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
Hello @Lorenaserafina  and welcome!   :toast:

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 13:17:04 PM »
Hello and welcome!

hernibs

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 15:38:05 PM »
Welcome to this helpful part of the sewing world.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 20:29:49 PM »
Hi Loren, a big welcome from me too  :D

jintie

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 14:09:32 PM »
Hi Lorna, I'm in Bradley Stoke. What is your favourite local fabric shop? I like Flo Jo on the Gloucester Rd.
Rottweiler with scissors

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 22:34:00 PM »
Hi Lorna, I'm in Bradley Stoke. What is your favourite local fabric shop? I like Flo Jo on the Gloucester Rd.

I buy most of my fabric online, as I don't seem to find what I'm looking for in shops.  I used to use Calico in Bedminster quite a bit for upholstery projects. I use Fabricland in Bristol sometimes. I have used the place on Stapleton road (forgot the name now) in the past. I haven't tried Flo Jo. I will have to visit.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
Hellooo Lorna,

Here’s a wave from me in the south west corner of Ireland. I used to work in Bristol and lived near to the Airport before moving over here.

I’m an inexperienced newbie compared to you though. Looking forward to hearing more about your costume making exploits.  ;) xx

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 12:38:38 PM »

I can confirm that fabric shopping (and snoop shopping in general) with @jintie is good fun.

jintie

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 13:09:49 PM »
Manuela is also good value at shopping- we went through Harvey Nicks like a dose of salts- honestly, mostly the fabric and finish of womens' clothing was worse than Primark. (Not to mention the more is more philosophy- ie, how about adding a fringe to that multicolour dress? Ok, and some pompoms) We found a plain grey cashmere coat perfectly made, and tried to persuade the young assistant to buy it NOW with her staff discount.
Then to Fabricland- I got a crash course in fabric for hot places- she bought a dress length of pink flowery polycotton sprinkled with raindrops, went home and sewed a sheath dress.
(We have totally different wardrobing ideas-she is a Chanel lady, I tend towards Japanese baglady).
Rottweiler with scissors