The Sewing Place

Ladder stitch for EPP

crafter

Ladder stitch for EPP
« on: January 28, 2019, 21:00:12 PM »
About to start my first quilt!!!  This will be hand stitched EPP and quilt as you go.

I have always used an overstitch to sew the pieces together.  Could I use a ladder stitch instead do you think?  Love the neatness of ladder stitch and it really doesn't show when overstitching can.  Each 12" block will be stitched and quilted within a day or two so no hanging around when it might get damaged, come undone, etc.  The quilt will be a beach/picnic blanket.

This is my pastime for these dark evenings until the gardening can start.  Going out of my mind with boredom at the moment.

What do you think  Can I break the rules?

Bogwoppit

Re: Ladder stitch for EPP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 21:02:14 PM »
I did ladder stitch when making balls from pentagons. Don't see why it cant be used flat.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 21:30:12 PM »
I just googled EPP and ladder stitch, and lots of people are doing it!

Even if they weren't, I'd say that if it works for you, that's the way you should do it.If the quilt police come after you, just throw them a biscuit and run.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »
What do you think  Can I break the rules?

Break the Rules ????  :o    :x    :S

Here in The Darkside, we MAKE the rules !!!!!!    :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Christine

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
I'm new to EPP and when researching found a YouTube vid of someone doing ladder stitch.  I had a go but to be quite honest, I didn't like it.  I found it too fiddley and I couldn't pull the stitches tight. 

But maybe that was just me!

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 13:10:35 PM »
I always use ladder stitch when hand sewing
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 13:19:34 PM »
I'm another one who looked for a Youtube video and decided it wasn't for me - I'm quite happy overstitching, and I shall carry on that way.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

supergran

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 21:37:53 PM »
I can't do hand stitching at all these days, but when I did, I used overstitching. I only ever used ladder stitching for knitwear. Can't knit now either!  :(

Christine

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
I found feather stitch on YouTube last night and even the 'teacher' found it fiddly, I thought. 

I'll be sticking with whipping stitch.  Is that also called overstitich?

renita

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:57:36 AM »
Why not really break the rules and forget about the paper altogether and sew your pieces together with a running stitch?
 :devil:
 I'm working on some sampler Millefiori rosettes/pieces and found it super quick to put them together!

Celia

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
I have just finished this cushion cover and used whip stitch, I will try ladder next time just to see, I also have used it in knitwearcid: