The Sewing Place

Best quality quilting (wonder) clips ?

annieeg

Best quality quilting (wonder) clips ?
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
Does anyone recommend a particular brand of these - I'm looking for good quality that will last...
Thanks in advance
Annieeg

b15erk

Re: Best quality quilting (wonder) clips ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
Annie, I'm not good on brand names for quilting, I just have a few of these wonder clips which I got free with a magazine.  I do however use the little mini pegs from The Works, and the little springy hairclips work well too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 15:50:20 PM »
@Sakar  .....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 15:58:17 PM »
I really like the clips of clover but I don't know any other brands. But Clover I can trust recommend :)

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 16:56:34 PM »
I won a brandless pack of those quite a while ago in the raffle at craft club and since then I've bought  some of the Clover ones.  As far as I can see they are identical!   I use them for holding the binding strips in place, they are not for holding the layers of the sandwich together; you need safety pins and/or 505 spray and/or thread basting for that.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 20:17:00 PM »
I use them to hold the hexagons together when EPP, I got some freebies with Today's Quilter a while ago but I find that they break after being used for a while. DD bought me some for Christmas a couple of years ago but I haven't used them very much and I can't remember the make - sorry.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 21:07:53 PM »
I don't quilt, but I use them to hold hems and seams together when sewing. The flat side down  means they do not pull the fabric and distort it before it is sewn.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

crafter

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 21:23:38 PM »
I looked at these but at 80p each in hobbycraft thought they were a ridiculous price.  So, I will stick with pins and plastic clothes pegs when necessary.

supergran

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 21:38:30 PM »
I bought a bag of cheap unbranded ones from Amazon and they are good for holding down quilt binding. I wouldn't pay the premium price for Clover so can't compare them, but I've found my cheapos are adequate for what I use them for.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
I got some free with a magazine and promptly went out and bought some cheapies. They both do a sterling job but the magazine ones seem a bit more robust. Having said that, they're all still going strong.
I don't think there's a brand name on either but I'll check tomorrow.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
I bought a pack of these for dressmaking.  I use them mainly on knits and have found them to be very useful.  They've been in use for over a year now and none of them have broken, so they're robust enough for my purposes.

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:27 AM »
I too bought the cheapies from Amazon, and have used them both in dressmaking and for binding.

They were strong enough to hold seams together on my Pu leather and wool coat. Excellent for holding slippery fabrics.
Procrastination get behind me

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
I too bought cheapies and have used them for all sorts of things, quilts,bags,clothes and household stuff. They have been absolutely fine.

You get so many more in a bag of cheapies that the odd duff one is no problem.