The Sewing Place

Fabric choices for dance clothes

Lorenaserafina

Fabric choices for dance clothes
« on: January 30, 2019, 19:00:20 PM »
What are your favourite fabrics for dance clothes?

I seem to use a lot of stretchy velvet and it's getting boring.  At the moment I am making a galabeya dress for turkish bellydance and using a flowery jersy. It hasn't enoughbling though.

Looking for inspiration.

Lollipop

Re: Fabric choices for dance clothes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 22:56:42 PM »
I make tap and jazz costumes using nylon lycra (spandex) mainly and stretch mesh where I need sheer or flowy fabric. It's really easy to use, much easier than stretch velvet, although I use that too on occasion. I add bling using rhinestones.
I get most of my fabric from TrimIt in Blackpool but sometimes use Tia Knight although the quality of their fabric varies.
Was Sewnanny

eclectic

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
yup I do the same as Lollipop … mostly plain lycra or foiled lycra and add all the bling with stones or applique .. Funki Fabrics has a huge selection including foiled fabrics which will shine under the lights if you don't want to add embellishments yourself.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 18:26:02 PM »
I tend not to use stretch fabrics. I like recycled saris other Indian/Asian fabrics are good too. Very bright, and often with outrageous patterns and colour combinations! :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 18:44:25 PM »
I also use some upholstery fabrics too as the patterns are bolder and off cuts can be quite large :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 21:16:10 PM »
Yes I love sari fabric. I have an 18 yard sari skirt that I would love to make a top to match. I need to find a source for sari fabric.

I've used lycra and stretchy fabric for comfort and ease of movement. Non stretchy fabric is great for full skirts but a bit restrictive for choli tops.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »
I’m not great with stretch fabrics. It’s something I need to do... especially as I have a nice overlocker I’ve never used...(the shame).

I think I have some sari fabrics about I know I have a spare outrageous yellow one and possibly a grey/mint green one... if you’re interested?

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 18:32:48 PM »
 :) What I actually need is green or grey/purple 2 tone. The grey tiers in this skirt are purple when you look at it the right way.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 22:31:26 PM »
I’m not great with stretch fabrics. It’s something I need to do... especially as I have a nice overlocker I’ve never used...(the shame).

Yes Shame on you  :D  an unused overlocker?  >< Your missing out!  perfect for stretchy fabric!  How about setting yourself some time aside for a play you may just love it and wonder how you managed life without it  :D

Roger

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 23:09:51 PM »
Wow Lorena that is quite an out fit! Looks amazing!

I know Sewgorgeous it’s a shocking state of affairs... it’s very shiny and complicated looking... I’m used to a big hunk of metal with 1 stitch... and a hunk of metal with admittedly a shed load of abstract stitches :)

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 00:50:17 AM »
Wow Lorena that is quite an out fit! Looks amazing!

I know Sewgorgeous it’s a shocking state of affairs... it’s very shiny and complicated looking... I’m used to a big hunk of metal with 1 stitch... and a hunk of metal with admittedly a shed load of abstract stitches :)

Thank you. That's kind. I can see lots wrong with it though lol

My partner bought me a second hand overlocker last year, and I haven't used it yet. I can't fathom how to thread it up.

Roger

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 15:37:48 PM »
Thank you. That's kind. I can see lots wrong with it though lol

My partner bought me a second hand overlocker last year, and I haven't used it yet. I can't fathom how to thread it up.

We’re all our own worst critics... it helps us get better, but no one else notices :)

Overlockers are a bit overwhelming... I will crack it but I might need a session at a local sewing shop to sort it out:)

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
@Lorenaserafina & @Roger don't put it off. I bought my first overlocker 5 years ago to start sewing dance wear when I retired and it completely reinvigorated my love of sewing after 20 years of decline to nothing. They do feel brutish in comparison to sewing machines but they're magic with stretch fabrics. I found the 6mm seam allowance daunting but the stretch is very forgiving of a slightly tighter fit so don't fixate on that either.
Which are your machines? Many are available as free downloads so we can help with queries about your model and point you to helpful videos too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 07:54:30 AM »
mine is an Juki MO-600 - which is supposed to be lovely. but Im a bit out of sewing at the moment. I don't really feel like I've been at home much over the last year, but Ive changed jobs now which should mean a bit more time at homeso hopefully more sewing :) my partner has also stopped belly dancing at the moment and she was a bit of a sewing muse :)

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 22:52:24 PM »
@Roger - I thought I'd have a quick look for the manual of the MO-600 but the series 600 pdf starts at 623 and I can't find anything on older models in that series. I'm guessing the threading is the same or similar though. Do you have a manual for it?

Not forgotten you @Lorenaserafina ! What model is yours? Also, I seem to recall that @DementedFairy has bought sari fabrics online. Any advice for sources at reasonable prices DF?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.