The Sewing Place

Colette 'Rue'

Ravingdoll

Colette 'Rue'
« on: April 14, 2017, 19:36:46 PM »
Anyone made this?  Got an opinion??!  I bought this when it first came out, then of course it all went very horribly wrong.  Now I've not really had a problem with Colette, they tend to fit me more or less out of the pattern, an occasional tweak here or there.  I've got the replacement pieces; I bought it from Guthrie & Ghani and they couldn't have been more helpful even though it took ages and ages for the reprint.  However, I bought the pattern because I liked the dress, which in the end is probably the best reason to buy a pattern, yes?  I still like it.  I've got an old duvet cover so thought I might toile it from that, given the history I think I would be a fool to go straight to fabric.  But I would be interested in anyone else's experiences. 

UttaRetch

Re: Colette 'Rue'
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 19:46:17 PM »
You might want to read some of these.  There is still a lot of anger, but in any event a toile is almost certainly a good precaution.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Wowser.  Having read a few of those, I'd bin it Dolly.  Some things just aren't worth the effort!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
It was a rotten pattern (thoroughly exposed when PR chose it for a 'Sewing bee' round) and the 'fixes' have hardly improved matters.

Ravingdoll: make a toile if you still feel inclined, but DON'T sew it out of the envelope.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 13:08:55 PM »
You see I've not actually heard much since they did reprint the fault pattern pieces.  Yes they got a hammering for their stance and attitude, possibly rightly, maybe they were getting a little too complacent.  As I say I've always got on okay with Colette but I've never taken much of an interest in their blog, politics etc, only their patterns.  But there doesn't seem to be any update on the actual dress since about October 2016.  As a few bloggers have observed, I daresay that they do 'rue' the day they came up with this one!  I've got an old duvet cover that will do fine for the toile, but I am not going to take any nonsense with it, I'm going to treat it like I would my men these days - any messing and it's out the door.  No second chances! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 15:05:33 PM »
I have found a review of version 2.0.  I'm not sure if the update is any better.  The reviewer is not entirely happy with the end result, but does admit that it is perhaps not the right pattern for her bodyshape.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 16:21:22 PM »
Thank you for that.  It was good to read a review on the pattern and not the company.  I will definitely try it as Colette historically does seem to design for my particular body shape but as I have not sewn much this year due to my move and so forth I am going to do a few 'fun' ones before attempting this.   And on that note a Gertie Butterick one is calling me!