The Sewing Place

Spinster quilt

wrenkins

Spinster quilt
« on: February 01, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »
I've done a daft thing.  :[
My friend was saying recently that as each member of her family married, granny made them a quilt but as she didn't marry, she didn't get one. 'I'll make you one' says I. Ha Ha we laughed...but the seed was sown.
I Pintertested for some ideas and saw stained glass quilts which look lovely. I'll have me some of that I thought. For the past week I have cut out each different sized piece from 11 FQs with scissors. SCISSORS!!! Everything from 2.5"x2.5" to 11"x1.5" No stacking and whacking here m'ladies. Last night I cut 1 statute mile of 1" black "lead" and just before I went completely boggle eyed, I checked the piecing diagrams.  8) I might need another mile.  -<
Did you ever think you'd have been better just doing wee squares?!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

Re: Spinster quilt
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:26:59 AM »
I've wanted to make a stained glass quilt for ages.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures.   :D

(And what a nice friend you are.   <3  )
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
Scissors ??????  :o   :\    :S

I need a lie down!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:39:46 AM »
I'm using Craftsy Botanical batiks so I'm hoping that it'll look like light shining through. Only trouble is that having used a mix of light and dark tones, I didn't know where each piece was going to end up in the final piece. One of my panels looks a bit wishy washy so I can foresee some shuffling.  8)
I'm a rubbish friend. I'm looking at her in a whole new light since she's given me all this aggro! Of course it's a secret so she doesn't know!!!  0_0

I'm doing   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
That'll be gorgeous, @wrenkins .  Looking forward to the pics. <3

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
Tried the technique once... won’t be doing it again... good luck, look forward to seeing it.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
Tried the technique once... won’t be doing it again... good luck, look forward to seeing it.
:o Oh no! What happened? I mean apart from all the rigmarole I just said!?!?! Was it the leading by any chance?  ><
Yes @Iminei! Scissors! And a pempcil, and lil bits of paper template to lay out on the FQ to make sure I had enough and best use of acreage.... I have to say they were brilliant for when I was tired and hallucinating. If the paper didn't match then it was wrong...mostly.  :)
I'm quite enjoying it so far but then I haven't started sewing yet...

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
It sounds like it's going to be gorgeous when it's done.  I've no idea how these are made so I don't know how awkward they are to do.
Good luck with it...and yes...you sound like you're a lovely friend to be doing this.

Sandra.
xxx

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
I'm with @Sandra , I have no idea what it is you're doing (will Google and find out) or how complicated etc it is but wanted to wish you good luck!  and hope your friend buys you a Big Drink to say thank you x

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 13:03:53 PM »
I'm with @Sandra and @Nevis5 on this. I have no idea what I'm doing.  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »
Tried the technique once... won’t be doing it again

So do I and the Leading was difficult, however you are doing straight lines Wrenkies so that should be a whole lot easier.

This is what I made, it became a cushion cover, a gift for a friend.

To be honest, I wouldnt bother with that pattern cutting bias binding, I would just add narrow black sashing, but then again, what do I know?!

I think its going to look EEEEmazing! Please post pics!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
I have a beautiful stained glass window quilt my Auntie Joy made for me in 2015. I love it so much. It takes up most of the upper part of one wall in my living room.

http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2015/08/barcelona-stained-glass-window-quilt.html

I'm not a quilter so I don't really know how its done. I just think it is absolutely gorgeous and it brings me great joy every day I see it.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 10:05:25 AM »
I hinted she should make some co-ordinating cushion covers for the sofa (which is underneath) and she flat out refused! So I imagine it was a huge amount of work.

Did I mention I love mine and appreciate so much all of the hard work and artistry that went into it.
@wrenkins this is a beautiful thing you are doing for your friend

Sewingsue

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
That is gorgeous, Ruthie. Not just the windows but the stonework as well.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »
Blimey Ruthie, you are one lucky, lucky girl!!

Awesome!