The Sewing Place

Spinster quilt

Renegade Sewist

Re: Spinster quilt
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »
@SewRuthieSews I'm glad you shared this. The other day I was reading one of the Darkside threads and thought these Peeps really needed to see that quilt. Oh wait! You had put a photo of something up and a corner of this quilt showed. Was that the jacket? Foggy mind must figure it out.

@wrenkins that will be wonderful. How are you attaching the leading? I've not done it, too lazy, but what I've seen used is a fusible bias tape by Clover. It's pricey so I wimped out. They, Clover also make a fusible bias tape maker. If you hold your mouth just right you can use a twin needle to stitch it all down which makes it look really wonderful.

As you're doing straight lines you could cut strips of a lightweight fusible and make your own bias, although it doesn't even need to be bias. Unless, of course, those two miles you've cut already are bias. In which case it must be bias!  :D
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
... If you hold your mouth just right you can use a twin needle to stitch it all down which makes it look really wonderful...
Clever!  Mind you, I bet my mouth doesn't make that shape...  -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
@Sewingsue @Iminei I am fully aware how lucky I am, and can only guess at the hours of work which went into the quilt.
@Renegade Sewist yes I took my zipper jacket pictures in the living room and in one or two you can see the quilt a bit.

Here's one of the shots without the quilt cropped out. It goes pretty much up to the ceiling.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:13:21 AM by SewRuthieSews »

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
I whistle so my mouth already looks like a cat's @r$e. It doesn't need any more encouragement to pucker up thank you @Renegade Sewist:* (not kissing, whistling)!

@SewRuthieSews that is absolutely mind blowing. Her colour choices are fab. Thankfully my pal wouldn't know a sewing machine from a hole in the wall and she's unlikely to see Auntie Joy's handiwork so she'll not realise my effort is Stained Glass 101 (or should that be Stained Glass; an introduction.)  0_0
There will be no bias, no bendy bits, no complicated stuff....the lead is incorporated in the putting together of the individual blocks so hardly any thinking either. I'm going to chain piece but with 1" wide black and then cut to size at the end. If you think I'm going to be footerin' about with postage stamps of black stuff you have another think coming!
This is how this week has looked so far.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Times 11.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:13:27 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 11:15:02 AM »
....and the acreage...  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
@SewRuthieSews .... Oh that is Beeauutiful, I am lost for words and seriously envious!!!!!

Good girl @wrenkins  xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 12:36:10 PM »
Cheers Im.
Progress report.
So far this morning I have caught up on my correspondence (been on here  :[), chomped on a goodly portion of suitcase sized Galaxy (other chocolate is available but isn't as good), laid out the three large blocks and, as predicted, done a bit of swapping around to even out the paler colours. I have too many!  >< I had a feeling that might be the case but it's too late now. It's cut and looks ok but not just as dramatic as I would have liked. If it looks too like Dolly Mixtures (other sweeties are available and are much better) I'll ditch the sugary pink and replace it with something else.

Sandra

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 13:31:30 PM »
Now I'm wondering if I need to add 'stained glass window' quilt on my must-try list. I'm really liking the idea but I'll stick with straight lines.

Must add that I'm more than just a bit jealous of @SewRuthieSews beautiful quilt.  <3

Sandra.
xxx

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 21:34:02 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  there's some talent in your family; your fabulous jacket and that fantastic wall hanging. 0_0

I was working on my wibbly wobbly scrappy quilt at craft club today and one of the ladies wanted a photo of it! and then she showed me lots of photos of her work including a couple of stained glass quilts, very similar to the one @wrenkins is making.  The more successful one was made from batiks and splodgy dyed fabrics and I do think that is the secret to making them look good, you need fabrics with bits of light splodged in to really make it look as though the outside light is streaming in through it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 21:53:02 PM »
That's what I noticed @BrendaP. I normally struggle to use batiks effectively but I think they were definitely the way to go with this project.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Would some more close up photos of Joy's quilt be of interest?

I had a look today and it uses a variety of fabrics, some plain coloured and some which look batik or hand dyed.

It was based on a real window in the Sagrada Familia so Joy was trying to match the shapes and colours of that.

(The more I look at it and think about what was involved the more amazed I am, thanks for giving me the prompt)

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
Certainly! Especially the stonework!
I'm loving the fact that its actual size and could be your living room window!

I quilted a real size Flamingo once ... Well Im assuming real size but as I dont really know how big Flamingos are, I could be wrong ... cows, certainly are larger than you think.

The whole hanging is roughly 23" x 45" So Im very possibly wrong, but it was fun to do and fills a gap above my SIL's stairs very nicely!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
Certainly! Especially the stonework!
I'm loving the fact that its actual size and could be your living room window!

I agree.  Stunning.  Like living in a cathedral.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 23:49:10 PM »
@SewRuthieSews, that is a lovely thing, your aunt must be very fond of you.
@Iminei  it is  lifesize , they are 30-50" tall. We had a school trip to Flamingo Park once. I think they were the bigger ones.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

supergran

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 19:50:46 PM »
There are Flamingos in lakes near us and they are magnificent en masse, although I've never been close enough to see how tall they are.
On seeing one in flight, my grandson said it was like a stick with wings.  :D
Sorry, gone a bit off topic here. :S