The Sewing Place

Cheshire Cat

Lorenaserafina

Cheshire Cat
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
The troupe that I dance with host a show/party every year in October for other troupes and dancers, friends and family.  The theme of this year's Halloween Hafla will be ' troupe name... goes to the Movies'.

So now is the time of year when my head goes into a spin with costume ideas.  Two of the costumes will be Nagini (from Fantastic Beasts) and the Cheshire cat ( Alice in Wonderland).

My question is, when you think about a Cheshire cat costume, what colour scheme springs to mind?

I think the obvious is pink and purple stripes. But I like the blue and grey colour scheme too. Or shall I go mad and do a combination of the two?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Cheshire Cat
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
Surely for the Cheshire Cat all you need is a smile?   0_0

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:08:08 AM »
Orange

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »
I would think Bagpuss if it was pink and purple, I think Greybird is right, orange and stripey.

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Ah see, Bagpuss is pink and white stripes. 

The Cheshire cat in the Disney film is pink and purple stripes, but Tim Burton's cat has blue and black stripes.

And yes, I think of the Cheshire cat as orange but that would be the book, not the movie.  ;)

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:44:46 AM »
Well, the Cheshire cat in my head has mange.

I prefer the one from American McGee's Alice series or the one from the flash game Alice is Dead.  Both are more horror-esque and not films. 

Tenniel had an orange and black tabby in the books, and any of the silent films and ones in black and white would be a good basis for that color if you wanted to do it.  The one from 1915 has a rather bobble headed version that's only creepy because it's so bad.

I have a tattoo that is only visible under black lighting...you guessed it, it's the Cheshire's cat smile (somewhat less friendly then the Disney version) and "it doesn't matter where you go".

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
I took your advice and went with orange :-)