The Sewing Place

Camisole top

SeeDesignMake

Camisole top
« on: January 13, 2019, 18:37:30 PM »
My first make of 2019 was a camisole top I made a part of the Regent academy dressmaking course I am completing.

This sleeveless camisole was made from a floral border print crepe for the front panel and a solid ivory crepe for the back. . The armholes and the neckline were finished with bias binding made from the patterned crepe. The top had a wide neckline so it can be taken on and off without the need for a fastening.

After sewing the side and shoulder seams I tried on the garment to double check the fit.  This is when I noted significant gaping around the armhole. Therefore, I had to add armhole darts. This created a smoother and more natural curve.

Overall, I am happy with the fit of the garment and it is appropriate for its intended purpose as work wear.

Catllar

Re: Camisole top
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 21:06:01 PM »
I like that but I'm wondering if the armhole darts were needed because you perhaps needed a full bust adjustment?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SeeDesignMake

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
That makes sense, thanks for your advice. I will have to do some research to find out how to do a full bust adjustment.

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 14:50:44 PM »
Ideally, you choose the pattern size based on which size fits you best around armhole and shoulder, then you go from there with FBA and other changes needed.

elisep

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
Lovely!
I've got some leftover border print chiffon from a dress I just finished. Sadly not enough to cut a front and back in the same fabric but I could do similar to what you've done here... border print on the front and plain white on the back.
I think I'll need to wait until I've regressed my memory of binding the darn armholes + neckline, though  :|
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres