The Sewing Place

Well that's torn it...

wrenkins

Well that's torn it...
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:08:10 AM »
My second (never used) SM is a Singer 367. I bought it with my first proper pay packet and it was my only machine until about two years ago, though seldom used.
Last night I decided to be fancy and have both my machines set up so out it came. I threaded it up ready to sew tonight when I get home.

I broke it!

For some reason, known only to the good Lord himself, I pulled the tension knob. Why would you do that? What sort of moron stands and gently pulls a tension knob till it all goes wrong?!?!?!?! Well now it's all on the wonk and I can't thread it and neither can I use it.
I've found a very nice (slow-for-muppets) video on Youtube about the bits so I'm hoping I can bring it in to work tomorrow and put it back in the right order.

Why? Just why?  :'(

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

Re: Well that's torn it...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »
Hope it’s fixable...

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
Thanks Effie. I hope it's fixable by me because there is only one SM fixer in Northern Ireland, that I know of, and he's 40 miles away. I could do without the day trips...although there is veh veh good shopping where he is...  -<
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
If you have all the bits it should be do-able by you.  Fingers crossed.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »
Thanks @BrendaP. Thankfully no springs pinged in the undertaking of this stupidity.  :S
There is a charity near work and I emailed them this morning to ask if they would be willing to fix/service it for a donation. The man from Tools for Solidarity, he say yes! Woo hoo.
Is it treacherous to have an ex-display model in my SMD basket (with extra bobbins and a bag?).  :ninja:

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
Is it treacherous to have an ex-display model in my SMD basket (with extra bobbins and a bag?).  :ninja:

Of course not!  My coverstitcher was an ex-display model from SMD 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:48 AM »
Quick update.
I watched a video about the tension assembly and although mine is slightly different, it is the same enough to get the idea. The whole spindle had come out so I had to hit it a smart tap with a tin of kidney beans gentle persuader and that seemed to sort it.
She hammered away like a goodun.  :loveit:
Good old girl...although I'm thinking it might be kind to give her  wee taste of oil.  :[ There's squeaking!

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »

For some reason, known only to the good Lord himself, I pulled the tension knob. Why would you do that? What sort of moron stands and gently pulls a tension knob till it all goes wrong?!?!?!?!

Last Saturday I cleaned the birdies out, brought two water containers back for the little birds, spilled water from both while deciding which to put in first, swore, and then promptly turned both upside down pouring water on the carpet.  I have no idea why I did it, it just happened. :S   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
@Gernella  0_0 0_0 0_0
Good to know I'm in good company!  :S

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »
During this whole debacle I was in touch with a very nice chap called Stephen who started this charity supplying tools of all descriptions to developing countries. He even offered to pick up my machine. The idea was that they would mend it for the price of a contribution to TFS.  0_0 (I donated anyway cos he was lovely and it's a good cause).
Check out similar in your areas. The annual report made me smile. It lists things like screwdrivers and hand sewing kits, zips, ribbons and elastic.  Bless.  <3