The Sewing Place

Painting fabric

b15erk

Painting fabric
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
I have never, ever considered this, and wouldn't now, but the current Mary Poppins project has and interesting detail on one of the outfits.

It's a painted on collar with frill, and front band.

Any ideas where to start with this?  Never done any fabric painting, so I'll be starting from nowhere....

Help!!

Jessie  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

Re: Painting fabric
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »
Wow. No idea but it reminds of a dress worn by someone famous to something famous and I wondered if the edges had been painted. It's a great effect.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:33:49 AM »
I was hoping to re-create the style without the painting Samantha, but I think that would lose the impact.

I think I may end up making the top in pink, with the high neck, and plain collar in white.  I could then pass it on to DD to paint it.  She is far more artistic than I am, so could do a better job.

I will give her some plain fabric to practice on....

I know nothing about fabric paints though....  What about using Sharpies....?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
Sharpies might work but would they run when washed? You can buy fabric felt pens though, the kids had some once to draw on a t-shirt.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »
you can buy Dylon fabric pens and paints in Dunelm, HobbyCraft etc
they normally need to be ironed to 'fix' the paint/ink
maybe make the painted collar removable so the dress could be washed without it

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »
Thanks for that SRS, we have a Dunelm locally, so I think I need a trip there! :)

Great idea to make the  collar and button band removable - should make life easier too! Thank You!

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
Painting fabric takes a lot of practice.

I've done a bit of painting onto silk, pictures rather than functional, and that requires the use of gutta resist if you want to keep one colour separate from the next.  Silk dyes are very liquid and spread out very readily and the finished item is fairly delicate.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The other option is to use acrylic paint, which sits on the surface of the fabric much the same as it does if you paint onto a canvas.  Much skill is required!  The shirt was a charity shop buy several years ago; I suspect that it was someone's holiday souvenir, it's signed Ruangrong. Thailand.  This shirt has been through the washing machine many times and the painting hasn't suffered at all although the painted area is still a little stiffer than the rest of the fabric.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Edited to fix the orientation of the photo.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:21:30 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:20:26 PM »
OMG Brenda!  Those pieces are lovely!  I'm thinking this detail may be beyond me and DD....

Maybe need a re-think, especially if it may run....

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
Fabric pens and crayons could also work, without hte need for a resist, but again it takes a lot of practice as it's an unforgiving medium which can't be rubbed out if you get something wrong.  :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:25:20 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
The effect is quite stunning on the Poppins dress, but I'm not at all arty, so I think I'll have to see what I can do on the sewing machine.  :(

If DD wants to have a go, I'll suggest she goes to the Art/Textile Department at school to pick their brains....  ;)

Thanks for all your input girls, but I think it's a step too far....

Jessie

Yellowfeather

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 05:39:58 AM »
I use these;   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacquard-Products-Dye-Na-Flow-Exciter-Pack/dp/B0006IKE70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549345054&sr=8-1&keywords=dynaflow

So far I have not had any issues, but I use an airbrush, not a paintbrush.  Cant see that would make any difference though.  I like the idea of making it removable, then you could wash it separately if necessary.

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »
Dylon fabric paint. The frill would need someone with talent, that would beyond my ability. It's set with a hot iron and once washed won't affect the fabric hand. It has the consistency of paint so won't bleed along the fibres. It might be easier to make the collar separately but the ribbon would be fairly easy to paint on - easier to machine a ribbon on though. In the photo the neck ribbon is painted but it looks as though the ribbon tails are separate.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Missie

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »
The neck piece, ie white, frill and bow are separate to the main dress anyway (see the shadows).  I think I would be inclined to sew it all, and edge it in black to give an idea of it being outlined, ie pink frill with edging finished in black overlock/satin stitch, same for bow (edges finished in black), black saddle-type stitching with 6 strand embroidery thread on white collar, button band edged in black piping and then do the buttons the same.  I'm sure I have seen on my travels, although not sure where, self cover buttons that have a coverable outer ring and then a separate coverable inner button, but I may of course be entirely making that up!

crafter

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 15:59:36 PM »
When I worked at a craft tutor we used Pebeo paints, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pebeo-Setacolor-Opaque-Fabric-45-Milliliter-x/dp/B005DBORH8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549382094&sr=8-2&keywords=pebeo+fabric+paint, generally considered to be the best.

I have never seen a painted garment which looked as good as the one in the picture - certainly never in one of my classes!  I think that must be done by an artist who is already very accomplished.

Silk paints are different.  They spread out more and rely on the use of gutta.  Unless you are being very abstract that is.

Both silk and fabric paints don't become fast until they are hot ironed when dry.  Quite a task on all those frills.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 16:04:03 PM »
Great minds Missie!  I had a thought to do a rolled edge on the collar, frills, and front band, and I can have a play with that on the OL.

The buttons sound interesting, I'll have a look for something similar....

Lachica, I am tempted with the fabric paint, but I think it's a step too far for me, I would have to ask DD to have a go.  I haven't got an artistic bone in my body!

I've put a couple of pics up showing where I'm up to.

Jessie