The Sewing Place

Aldi fat quarters

So Chic

Aldi fat quarters
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
While in Aldi this morning I noticed that they had packs of fat quarters for sale at £4.95 a pack, the patterns are nearly all Disney so really only suitable for use with quilts for children. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Aldi fat quarters
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 14:40:20 PM »
I just bought 3 packs of fat quarters from our local Aldi today at €4.99 a pack.

They’re very ‘Spring’ like patterns and I was thinking of making ‘stuff’ for Spring/Easter perhaps.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 17:43:35 PM »
We dont have an aldi near us   :(   Like I need any more fabric!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »
We don't have an Aldi either, but I won't shop at any "foreign " supermarket on principle while we still have our own. However, a lot of people ( on FB ) say the fabrics are very thin, loose weave and fray. Conversely a lot of people ( on FB ) think they're brilliant....so.... good luck  0_0
Triumph of hope over experience :D

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 13:04:47 PM »
Lowena,  I understand your view on foreign supermarkets but a lot of Aldi's fruit and veg come from UK suppliers and I have been buying apples grown in Kent so really local for me.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 14:42:04 PM »
This is interesting, I bought a couple of these this morning at £3.99 each. North/South divide prices.....?!
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 17:42:40 PM »
That’s interesting? Are they the Spring range or the previous range that’s been discounted?
According to the Aldi Fat quarters group on Facebook they’re selling for £4.95 in the U.K. so your £3.99 seems quite the bargain. Also, in many areas they seem to have sold out already but there were plenty of FQ’s available in my local store.

@Lowena, I totally understand your sentiment for buying and supporting your local traders.

However, in stark contrast to most towns in the U.K., the majority of shops in my town are small independent stores selling a wider variety of interesting items. All the coffee shops/cafes are independent and we don’t have any Tesco, Boots, Costa, Superdrug, M&S, NewLook etc. Obviously, you still get some of these shops in the cities and bigger towns. We also have a thriving local market scene on Saturdays in our town with small scale producers selling fresh (mostly organic) produce.

Therefore, I don’t think the odd Aldi or Lidl is going to usurp the local traders plus they support Irish farmers for the fresh meat and veg supplies.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 18:13:31 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay they are the exact ones pictured in the previous post. So, yes, it seems strange. The ones I got are a 6pack, is that maybe why? Did you get a bigger pack?

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 21:15:53 PM »
@snoozi soozi
Just had another look on FB and someone has posted pictures of her fat quarters bought in the U.K. and the price tag does indeed say £3.99. 
So probably best to ignore anything I say.   :ninja:  :D

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 21:43:15 PM »
Heehee, wouldn't dream of ignoring anything you say @WildAtlanticWay; still doesn't explain why @So Chic paid £4.95 for hers

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 21:57:53 PM »
Lowena - Boots is owned by the US conglomerate WalGreen.  Asda is owned by the US conglomerate WalMart.  Even HMV is now owned by a Canadian!  I've just looked at the listing of FTSE 250 companies and even that's not a good guide to 'Britishness' - Bank of Georgia and Domino's Pizza are in there and they're definitely not British!

I agree one should think carefully about to whom one gives one's disposable income, but when it comes to retail I think it's more important to consider whether the products being stocked are of British manufacture/production than who ultimately owns the store branding.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 22:55:31 PM »
I don't use any of the aforementioned shops @HenriettaMaria We can't all be the same :)

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
Unfortunately because (perhaps) of the shocking high street rents and rates local independent business are scant on the ground in our town.

True, we have 3 separate chemists .. but each and every one is a Boots ...  :S ... Go figure!!!!

For supermarkets we are very well sorted for all tastes and budgetswhich range from the newly opened Lidl (was going to be an Asda but they pulled out, Iceland (if that counts),a small Co-Op, Morrisons, Tescos and finally an excellent Marks and Sparks food hall, which really know what a reduction is at the end of the day!

We have the ubiquitous Costa and a Reeves the baker. Charity shops too numerous to list with the only other clothing retailer being an M&Co  (Gagging smilie needed here)  :x

We do have a small local and independent P&Q retailer, Cotton Moon and a rather bizarre Wool shop called Knitwits which is seemingly always closed.

The only independent shops that really excel here are a longstanding and excellent butchers (Mato's) that also supplies to the trade, An equally longstanding  huntin' shootin' and fishin' shop (Conyers), which has an offshoot next to it packed with expensive tweed caps and country living goods, Modo the Interior designers who always seem to do well and the Hambledon Gallery full og lovely things you never knew you needed at extortionate cost.

For food, we have numerous Chinese takeaways and one restaurant I believe, tho' we have never been. It looks to be inside a block of flats, certainly there is no street frontage.
Indian, there are two tired restaurants with another which is takeaway only, We do have a Nepalese restaurant but everything there seems to be goat based.
Italian; Domino's recently moved in, but rarely deliver cos they have no drivers
There is an extremely dodgy Italian restaurant down an alley, we went there only once, and the old Prezzos, (which never took off for good reason) has been turned into something very odd called Jack Rabbits ???!

There are quite a few cafes but I cant really comment on them, because if I want a cup of tea (which I only occasionally do) its easier and cheaper at home but I have heard good reports about a couple of them, including the one on the corner of The Plocks which needs investigating as it apparently holds a Gin evening once a week (booking essential!)

Pubs, there are many (we are an old Georgian Market town) but all of them increasingly dodgy with, I suppose, the exception of the Hall and Woodhouse Brewery owned Crown Hotel which is soulless no matter how many times the re-jig the layout and revamp the decor.

Have I dissed my town enough now? What were we talking about ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 11:53:42 AM »
I quite like M&Co @Iminei and I've never heard of the bakers you mention.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
I went into an Aldi’s on the way home from work last night and they were selling 2 lots of fat quarters, one at 3.99 and the other at 4.99 ( might have been 95 not sure) maybe this is the answer