The Sewing Place

Bernina Nova

annieeg

Bernina Nova
« on: February 04, 2019, 14:23:21 PM »
Hi,
Not sure if this qualifies as a "vintage machine" but does anyone have an opinion on this machine? 
I have an opportunity to buy a used one, which looks to be in VGC and it would be handy as a machine to keep downstairs for simple sewing projects when I sometimes sew in the kitchen.
Is the stitch quality ok?
Any info gratefully received.
Annieeg

Nevis5

Re: Bernina Nova
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 14:37:23 PM »
I have a Nova which I bought a couple of years ago from Ebay when my main machine was in hospital for a few months :(  It's a little workhorse of a machine, it seems to chug through anything.  Mine doesn't do a great zigzag to be honest, it's a bit random but that might be a tension problem, I haven't explored it too much.

Mine was swimming in oil when I bought it;  I took it to my sewing machine wizard, who checked it over and soaked up the oil for me.  It would never replace my bigger machines but I think it's great for emergencies.  Oh, and the stitch quality on the straight stitch is stupendous.  I have never seen straighter topstitching in my life. 

xx

arrow

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 17:49:08 PM »
I have a 900 Nova. The stitch selection is not the largest, but the utility stitches are there. It runs fine, a few more plastic gears than the 700 series and earlier. That said, this  machine is the same standard as the 800 series, and the 900 is made to be extra portable with a handle on top of the machine, not just in the case. If something is wrong, a repair is well worth it. It weighs a bit less than the Records, but I think it's just as capable. I dare say it should zigzag perfectly, it has the tension mechanism and CB hook / race Bernina is known for. It's rahter forgiving when it comes to upper tension, but if you sew a lot with top stitch thread you might need to get the special bobbin case for thicker thread. The only reason I haven't is the price.

Before anything, I would clean and oil; the top of the machine (two screws) and top of the freearm comes off (spring release, upper left side behind the bobbin cover). Take out the needle and presser foot before the top of the freearm, it prevents scratching the finish. There are oil points behind the face plate. The bobbin case and hook comes out easily. There are a few tutorials on the web for light DIY service and repair if needed.

From my experience, it has the same stitch quality as the Records (which where the top models. I have compared to the 730 and 830, and didn't notice much difference. Bernina has neater zigzag than many other machines, new and old. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 13:07:42 PM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 18:55:35 PM »
I had a 900 too, it does do a good stitch, but I found even after tuning that it’s was rather touchy about if it would or wouldnt sew. I stuck with my Bernina 530 as a far less fussy machine, but I find Berninas a bit cold...  <3 my 500a. This is probably a defect in my character as Berninas are notoriously perfect!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 13:56:03 PM »
My 900 just sews, nothing particular about it. The only annoying thing is the latch for the casing broke. To keep the hinged sides closed I use a string instead, it works and I haven't bothered to track down a proper replacement.