The Sewing Place

Lining a pinafore

Ex fan des sixties

Lining a pinafore
« on: February 04, 2019, 17:21:35 PM »
Hi all!
Thanks for adding me!
I'm making the Utu pinafore from "breaking the pattern" by Named : https://www.namedclothing.com/shop/breaking-the-pattern-a-modern-way-to-sew/. The thing is I've never lined anything before and the instructions on the book are not clear enough for me.I can't find any tutorial on youtube.Any ideas,please?
Many thanks :)

Efemera

Re: Lining a pinafore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 17:53:27 PM »
Can you tell us what the instructions say?

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 17:56:45 PM »
Is this the pattern?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

If so it's just a long waistcoat (vest in US).

Make the outer garment and make the lining but leave the sides open.  Right sides together and stitch all around except for the sides.  Sew one side seam on both fabrics then turn through the other (open) side and press.  Sew the last side seam in the fashion fabric then close the lining from the outside with a narrow "false French hem" for want of a better name, or slip stitch it together by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJpZ67St92s
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 19:48:12 PM »
Yep, what Brenda said. The first thing I ever lined was a waistcoat and I did it with no pattern and I didn't realise the pattern I bought didn't have a lining!

You basically make a 'shell' version of the same garment but in lining fabric. There may well be a facing (I would hope so, and Named Patterns are a good company for that sort of thing so I expect it will have a facing). The facing is the edging bit of the inside/lining that is the "fashion" fabric (so same as outside). Having that edge on the inside means that you don't see any of the lining from the outer, not even a tiny bit on the edge,.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram

Ex fan des sixties

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
Thank you all for your help!
I'll check that video out and let's see how it goes.
That is the pattern,Francesca! Have you made it?How did it turn out? :)

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 13:01:45 PM »
I haven't sewn it, but I just cut out a Named pattern yesterday (Reeta dress) and I've heard good things about them! Sadly that lovely pinafore would never fit me, wrong shape (but I did just buy a vintage pattern for a very similar pinafore with an a-line flair. Excited to give it a go even if it does need a big grade-up from the tiny vintage size!)
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram