The Sewing Place

Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon

Iminei

Re: Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2019, 20:08:24 PM »
Oh BUM, Im going to have a look at the destructions now ... Thanks a bunch @Sandra>:)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2019, 21:08:19 PM »
Lose some or all??? That is surreal, like straining your gravy and then throwing it down the sink.
Did you just make that up Sandra?  I can't see it on my copy.  Not April !st you know!
And - I've found it. Not on the printout, on the website.  Thanks for pointing it out, although the piece seems too big to get cut away, it is reasonably wide.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 21:20:23 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
On the WEBSITE ... Bum Bum Buggery b*****s

Thanks a bunch to you too TnT !

I cant see why we need templates ??

Think the Lecherous Dr Van Horn in Tootsie ...  I don't see why we can't use the tape just because it's a little sticky.????

Sandra

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2019, 09:04:17 AM »
These blocks clearly haven't been tested before being issued. If they were, then these little problems would have been corrected.
We had chopped off points last month and now a disappearing (possibly/maybe?) piece A2.  :(

Overall, I'm enjoying doing this. I'm happy to keep on going and I'm going to try not to over-stress about these 'errors'.
It's just a pity it wasn't polished up properly first.

So far, I love my leaf applique block best.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »
I suspect she is allowing for someone who does not take the proper 1/4" seam allowance so that the finished piece is too big and A2 being at the edge, suffers most.  In the introduction, she said that what was really important was to be consistent.  I could foresee problems with that, but what do I know?  Still fun, as you say.  Previous years, people did end up with a proper quilt top so, hopefully, will I.

Iminei

« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2019, 18:52:55 PM »
Ive been working on these all day.

I have got them done but not finished.
I have shoved the teeny piece of curved piecing into touch and inserted a triangle of BG1 onto which I will applique the heart of the flower ... YAR Boo Sucks to Teach!

They are coming out ok;
Im dubious about the 5 1/2" squaring before the green is added as it does indeed chop off most or all of the edge petal ...Why?
If you squared it to 6" you would keep that petal and you could compensate by cutting down on the BG1 square/half squares that you add to it!

GGGGRRRR ....    :angry: ....  I wish i had written this before finishing cutting the blocks ...
That is what I would've / should've  done !!
GAH! but Im not going through all that R, L and template stuff again!

Will be finished tomorrow, pics then!

Lowena

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2019, 19:01:16 PM »
Doesn't it miss the point if you don't follow the instructions? Will it be the correct quilt at the end?
Just being curious as I could never do applique or templates :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2019, 19:58:41 PM »
I did the cutting out last night, I've organised my left and right, and have just been pinning the pieces together.

They haven't even pinned together very neatly.  -< I must make sure I'm feeling patient when I go back to them so they don't end up in the bin.
Yes. The curved seam bit looks like it's not going to go well.  :\  I'm not looking forward to trying to stitch all 12 of them.

I'm going to have to remember your advice when it comes to the trimming down to 5 1/2" bit.

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2019, 21:37:13 PM »
Thank you both @Sandra and @Iminei , I will try to trim to 6" and see what happens.  Not going to happen for a day or two.

Iminei

« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
AAAannnd Now Im thinking if I should maybe deconstruct my blocks to the 2nd petal,
re-attach new 1st petal units and trim to 6" ....

Aw Nuts!    >:)

Iminei

« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
BIG news @toileandtrouble @Sandra

Firstly when using the templates .. I drew a stitching line, 1/4" in from the heavy black cutting line, on the white paper template.
By lining up my ruler along its 1/4" mark on this newly drawn line I am hopefully cutting the correct distance away from the stitching line.

Otherwise, I found, as you gaily place your ruler along the black line and cut, you are inevitably cutting a shred of the template along with the fabric everytime ... when you get to the last few templates the paper template is smaller than when it began.

Clear as mud????

Now the piece that has given me, and everyone else, so much trouble is the outer petal ...  the A unit

It simply doesnt fit!

I am now recutting this unit. I will then take my blocks apart and attach the new units and hopefully square to 6"

But I am recutting A1 (the background colour in the unit ... in my case the dark blue batik) with an extra 1/4" along the side  where the writing says or cut 2 right sides together ... so under that writing ...  Im allowing an extra 1/4" of fabric.

If you havent yet cut your templates out, you could cut it with an extra 1/4" of paper and use that particular black line as the stitching line.

Then it should fit together much better ... Well we will see!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:49:41 AM by Iminei »

wrenkins

« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
I love this thread. It's like learning ancient Greek.
So far I've got 'don't use their lines, make your own'!  0_0  0_0  0_0 That about right?   :ninja:

If it's any help, I found that shimming problem with paper templates so I made thick card ones. My blade sat along them much better if I was careful.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
 :\  Have you ever seen such a messy shaped bit of piecing?  Good grief! I hope we don't get any more like this one.

It looked an untidy mess when I was pinning it. Nothing seemed to fit together very neatly.
After joining the first pairs of fabrics together, I trimmed to straighten the edges where they were going to have to join diagonally.
I managed, somehow, to just about get my curves to join. They're a mess, and they're 'off' when I've joined the two halves of the block together.

The good news is that I think the block will trim down fairly neatly to 6 inches. It's not a skimpy block. It has plenty of 'extra' to play with. It'll look a hell of a lot nicer than it does at the moment.

I'm determined to hang on to the outer petal, and now I've gone to the trouble and faff of making this block I don't want to chop it off.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
HeHeHe! That's brilliant!  0_0

You know it'll be fine when you trim.  8) They don't make it easy do they?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2019, 13:10:41 PM »
OK...If I cut all these blocks to 6 inches, I can't/don't know how to/CBA to re-adjust the sizes of all the other bits which needed to attach to these main blocks...while still keeping the finished block size to 12 1/2" x 18 1/2".
I'm incapable of working out mathematical stuff like that.

The quilt police might need to look away right now... :ninja:

So, what I've done is to take a larger, half-inch seam diagonally down the centre to pull the block down to the proper 5 1/2" finished size. I get to keep the outer petals  :), and all the other bits fit together as they should. It looks fine. Better than I expected it to.

I haven't looked on the Murder Mystery website but I imagine other people must be finding a problem with this block too.

:[ It's not just me is it?  :|

Sandra.
xxx