The Sewing Place

Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon

toileandtrouble

Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
My son sent me a link yesterday: https://murdermysteryquilt.com/
Each month for a year,  you get a chapter of the story and pdf instructions for a quilt block, which builds into a picture giving clues which help you solve the mystery. Unfortunately it closed at the end of January or I might have been tempted, even at $9 per month.  Different techniques in the blocks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:58:13 AM by Iminei »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

Re: murder mystery - seen this?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 15:14:58 PM »
@toileandtrouble  ...  I clicked on join now and it was letting me join as a monthly or yearly subscriber ?!

I havent put my details in so at which point did it say closed for subscriptions ??? I didnt think these BOM style things ever closed their doors to subscribers, you just have to catch up and/or see others blocks before youve made them.

I am tempted tho I would like to see previous quilts to decide if the style is for me.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 16:02:42 PM »
I thought it was a group - open any time, but a sewalong  for 12 months for that quilt. I did wonder if I could play catchup if they let me, but remembered I already have more than I can do.  Did wonder about next year though.  Going back for another browse. Don't talk me into it!
Oh dear, reading FAQ it says registration open until Feb 12.  Switch set back to Dither
You can join for just one month and then cancel if you don't like it. Presumably you could then see gallery or something like it. It mentions Facebook, which I don'r do.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 16:19:10 PM by toileandtrouble »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 23:07:57 PM »
Question for all you experienced quilters.
How much time would you expect to spend on an 'average' quilt block?  I realise this is a piece of string question but it would help my dither if I had a ballpark figure.
I really like the sound of this but there is such a lot else I really ought to do.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 23:53:18 PM »
If this helps any of you, here is a recent blog post showing quilts from some of the previous Murder Mystery quilt series. Also, she mentions doing Modern, original blocks on the website.

I have enough trouble picking fabrics that make an attractive quilt when I know the pattern beforehand. I'm afraid I'll really mess up a mystery quilt and that might put me off quilting altogether. Then what do I do with all of this fabric?  :thread:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:03:35 AM »
Thanks RS ... That was an interesting read and it was good to see previous examples of finished quilts.

The ones, in my opinion, that worked the best were with either a very dark or very light background ...

There  seems to be a fair bit of FPP going on and some applique too and there is certainly some appeal to leaving it to someone else to choose your design (hers seem fairly modern which is good) for taking you out of your comfort zone.

I think I might enrol, (I dont have much on otherwise do I ???? ... NOT!!!!)

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »
Question for all you experienced quilters.
How much time would you expect to spend on an 'average' quilt block?  I realise this is a piece of string question but it would help my dither if I had a ballpark figure.
I really like the sound of this but there is such a lot else I really ought to do.
As a sort of intermediately experienced quilter I finished two 11"x22" blocks last night. Each block had 27 elements but they are fairly straightforward cuts and I was watching an old episode of Bake Off at the same time.
This is virtually no help at all I realise.
Depending on the complexity of the blocks it is indeed like a piece of string but I do find that most of my time spent 'making blocks' goes into the thinking rather than the doing!  :S
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:08:09 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
No, it is a great deal of help! Thank you. Now I need more help - to decide.   -<

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 14:47:30 PM »
I've signed up.  0_0  :S

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 19:42:12 PM »
Kick me!

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 20:47:58 PM »
The clock's ticking...you have three days left before time runs out... :P

I've spent the last couple of days thinking of fabrics and trying to choose what I hope will work nicely.

I'm looking forward to trying this but I won't be joining in with the group on there and uploading images on Facebook and/or Instagram to gain extra 'clues'...(I'm not on Facebook or Instagram  ><)
So far, I'm happy with the instructions, I enjoyed the first chapter of the story, and I'm curious as to how it will all come together.

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 21:30:50 PM »
DIL and I still deliberating if we will have time.  @Sandra  could you possibly estimate how much time we might need  for the first one?  We thought it would be nice to have our own mini group (of 2!)   It would be something we could do together even though we live a fair distance apart and can't meet up very often.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
Shall we have our own mini group on here ???? I could be in with a lil encouragement as its only £7 a month.

Sandra

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »
Oooh...erm  :[ ....how long?....hmmm...

I'm not very good with estimates, and I don't have the fabrics yet to be able to time myself....so...I'll say the first block is pretty simple.  -<

Nothing complicated. It needs some half square triangles. It's all machine pieced together, there's no fussy applique or anything hand stitched on this.
You need to make two blocks the same of this first one.

Based on this first block, it looks like it ought to be do-able with time/distance restrictions. Obviously, I've no idea what the rest of it's going to be like.

Hope that helps... @toileandtrouble .

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
Im going for it !!!

Any other takers????

WE could have a lil mini group on here ... would your DIL care to join TSP and this @toileandtrouble  ???