The Sewing Place

Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon

Iminei

Re: Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2019, 17:18:11 PM »
No its not just you Sandra  and Bravo for thinking that one (extra seam allowance down the middle) through.
I didnt ! (my only excuse is you do all these alterations all the time so something clicked for you that didnt for me)

I did manage to replace the outer petals on one of mine ...

but after considering the hassle and time of unpicking (1.8 SL), the fraying and the Y !!! seams needed to insert it next to the second petals I decided to redo the entire 6 blocks  :S

But mine are now done but OMG the mess ... BUT its not 18 1/2" x 12 1/2" ... Oh no no no....   :P

Not mine ..... theyre 13 1/2" x 20" ... No worries I'll sort it   -<

Linky
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:32:15 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2019, 18:23:11 PM »
That's lovely @Iminei

Hope you're able to squeeze it in to the finished quilt. It's difficult to know, when we've no idea of the finished design.

Mine ended up like this...

It's a bit 'Art Deco' in design, isn't it?

Glad to have got this one out of the way.

Good luck @toileandtrouble . Hope you've picked up some useful tips for when you do yours.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2019, 18:27:27 PM »
Thats brilliant Sandra, but damn it was a buggery bollocks of a block wasnt it???

I was hoping for some applique but then we had this and curved piecing! Hope Mays is better.

Sandra

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2019, 18:32:51 PM »
a buggery bollocks of a block

Yep! My thoughts entirely.

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2019, 19:36:07 PM »
See someone on the website has queried the X and Y markings.
I'm beginning to think that the measuring and geometry bit are not her strong point.  I have never done quilting before, but if I wanted to design a block like this, I would draw it inside the finished measurements, cut out the pieces, having coloured them, and then draw a seam allowance around each. What could be easier? Correct me if I have missed something, please, you experts.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2019, 20:34:50 PM »
Its a typo (i hope) that they are referring to ... pieces A had Y markings and she wrote match the X'x or pieces B had X marks and she wrote match the Y's ... or Vicky versa

The more serious error was the size of Piece A1 (I think) the background fabric triangle (could be A2) which didnt fit the x or the y ... I added and extra 1/4" to one side (the side with the writing above) and hey presto, All good!

I know from the BOMs how easy it is to get a measurement wrong when typing the detructions so feel quite sorry for her ... shes got over 2000 peeps waiting for this every month.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2019, 00:00:29 AM »
If there over 2000 people paying every month, they should have someone to test the instructions, surely?
If the blocks had been drawn up as I said, all the pieces would fit and the side petals would not be lost.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 00:04:52 AM by toileandtrouble »

Iminei

« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2019, 08:03:25 AM »
Not my tut hon!

And someone on the fb thingmy said there was nothing wrong with the background fabric template for the outer petal (A) but mine didnt fit as it was printed ... user error ???

Personally Im glad its over and I'll handle the size issue when I get to it.

Im liking my colours tho ... and all from stash (how embarrassing)

Sandra

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
I agree with toilandtrouble's comment...people are paying for this so you would have expected it to have been tested beforehand.

Should have mentioned yesterday that I didn't bother to re-cut the outer petals as Iminei did, and it all came together OK in the end. Those two pieces look awful trying to fit them together, but I carried on through gritted teeth and with my fingers crossed.
User error?...hmmmm...I don't think so. We'll see in the coming month just how many other people mention a problem with this months block.

Lets hope that this is as bad as it gets and we'll have no further problems.

Sandra.
xxx

StitchinTime

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
Well done @Iminei  and @Sandra for coming up with a solution to the badly written pattern.

At this rate there will no mystery to the murder - the pattern writer will have been murdered in the sewing room by a disgruntled quilt maker with a rotary cutter.

Iminei

« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »
I want a white cutting mat! (stamps foot!)

Im really struggling with my dark green one and the dark blue batik!
Im slipping sheets of white paper underneath the blocks when squaring up but its a pain!!!!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2019, 18:38:39 PM »
if I wanted to design a block like this, I would draw it inside the finished measurements, cut out the pieces, having coloured them, and then draw a seam allowance around each. What could be easier? Correct me if I have missed something, please, you experts.

I don't think you've missed anything @toileandtrouble. That's the solution I thought about as I read of difficulties with the design. And yes, if people are paying the block should be accurate - none of this 'we'll make it the right size afterwards'. That just discourages anyone who lacks confidence in their abilities. They think it's their fault when it's not. Fortunately the TSPers are made of sterner stuff...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:19 AM »
Found the problem.  Template C3 is not correct. It has a right angle bottom left.  If you fold up the bottom section to divide that right angle, you get the shape shown in the next diagram. After that, the pieces go together as shown.  I checked by folding away the seam allowances and it gives a perfect match.

Iminei

« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »
well done TnT but I thought the shape shown in the next diagram, of the 3 pieces together, was after squaring up ??
It certainly looks very neat and nothing like any of the pics in progress (or mine) looked like before joining the two halves together.

Anyhow mine are done (AND done again) So Im not worrying. But a lot of peeps are finding this difficult including seasoned quilters.

Iminei

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
April's Clue is out and roaming the wilds of T'Internet ....

Beloved friend, constant help, Forgive us for the way you fell
Under the leaves, above the board, Reveal to us the secrets you hoard.
Inside your heart & outside your vows,
Her heart was burning beyond what was allowed