The Sewing Place

Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon

BrendaP

Re: Murder Mystery Quiltalongathon
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2019, 18:24:22 PM »
I think I am very happy  0_0  that I chose not to join in with this one  :ninja: :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2019, 18:49:34 PM »
Oh dear- after all your hard work as well!  :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

toileandtrouble

« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2019, 19:47:17 PM »
I will trudge on to the end and then see how I can salvage it.  Certainly not going to make something with those leering faces on.  Anyhow, the whole patchwork thing was new to me so I'm glad to have tried it.  Liked doing the flowery ones and seeing how to use the fabrics. Last year's quilts looked quite different.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sandra

« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2019, 19:57:19 PM »
Yes. I'm going to trudge on too.

We've got so far and I can't just completely scrap it now. I'll make up the fugly FPP section, if only to see just how bad it really is.
Then, I'll see what I've got to work with on the remaining blocks, and if I can see them being turned into something...just anything.

I don't like my colours I've used in this section, but even if I'd used 'perfect' colour fabrics, I just don't like the design. It looks nightmare-ish.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2019, 08:35:12 AM »
Why not just make some more of your favourite pieced blocks from before ... We can work out the size we need.

Im really reluctant to waste anymore fabric on this, which means I might not enter into the gallery, which means we wont get the bonus clue unless one of you two do.

To be honest I have been reading the book either ... since Audible landed reading is soooo last year !!!!  :loveit:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
Why not just make some more of your favourite pieced blocks from before ... We can work out the size we need.

Im really reluctant to waste anymore fabric on this, which means I might not enter into the gallery, which means we wont get the bonus clue unless one of you two do.

Is next months block a pieced one again? Leaving the final two months as FPP.

Yes. That's a good idea...see what we've got and see which blocks might look good to repeat, to fill in any gaps. At the moment, to me, it just looks an incoherent muddle.

I don't think I'm too worried about not getting the bonus clue.
I'm afraid I can't get it because I'm not a Facebooker...or the other one you needed to go on to be able to get the bonus clue.

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
"This is another fine mess you got me into"
   So sorry, girls, I'm beginning to wish I'd never mentioned it and just suffered alone.  On the other hand, it has given me some insight into quilting and colours so I have learnt something.
Had a stab at the September one last night.  The bobbin ran out at the end of a line.  Excellent, I thought, and went on to sew the next one, very neatly, without replacing the bobbin.  Put  it right, did the next, very neatly, then realised it was not BG1  but FF1. So I put that right and went to bed.
(By the way, I treated myself to a little hand roller for the seams and it works beautifully and saves lots of trips to the iron)
Looked at your layout, Sandra, and realised the mouth on the left is replaceable by the one in the centre, with the flower/heart underneath , perfect match,  so perhaps there is some cunning plan in it all!  That was why we had not to sew them together yet.
Didn't @annieeg sign up too? Wonder if she dropped out or is keeping a low profile on this!

annieeg

« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
@toileandtrouble
I did sign up in a frenzy of enthusiasm but when I got the first 'episode" I realised I was trying to punch way above my weight so I cancelled. (I paid the first month subscription only.)
Having read the posts since I do t think I made the wrong decision  0_0

Sandra

« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2019, 10:56:40 AM »
No need to apologise for anything @toileandtrouble  :)
Is your d-i-l still joining in?

It was a mystery sewalong. None of us knew what we were going to be doing, but were happy to give it a go.

I don't regret joining in. It's been fun, but I don't like what this is turning into. Mainly it's this FPP design which looks vile.  :x

Apparently, there wasn't much FPP in last years quilt. Has somebody mentioned there was only the one block?
Do you think she got a bit too pleased with herself with her fpp design skills, and couldn't stop herself from using this monstrosity as her centrepiece?

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2019, 11:15:09 AM »
You are probably right.  Perhaps we could design our own centrepieces and use FPP, applique or whatever we fancy instead?  Some of the original blocks were different sizes, so the assembly part will not be straightforward.
Did you ever play 'Consequences' at school? Do you think it might work as a quilt method, if someone starts one off, the next person design something for each side, and so on?  How complicated that could be!
I did read that they had instruction issues last time too, but they got resolved quickly. Personally, I'd like to resolve it before I published, but that's just me.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
PS   Dil is plodding on too, but doesn't like the centre either. On  the other hand, some of the Americans were complaining they didn't like flowers.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2019, 00:23:19 AM »
Just finished the September blocks by 11.30, thought I would get them sent in before midnight. No chance. My smart (!) phone was dead, doesn't hold charge like my old one.  My husband has a code on his phone and I have forgotten it. He has a tablet with a camera but had to put in a new password when he was playing with the computer. What he has written down does not work.  Cannot find my ordinary camera.  Now it will have to be tomorrow.
The tumble dryer has stopped working and needs a new circuit board. Going off electronics.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #267 on: September 18, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »
And I was wrong, when I made it in fabric, the mouths don't match up. Doh.

Iminei

« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
@toileandtrouble @Sandra

Would either of you share the destructions for the last pieced block (whenever it arrives) with me so I can cancel my subscription to this???

Im so repulsed by the excessive FPP and ugly design, I'll just put together the pieced blocks I have and call it good.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
Yes, of course I will. No problem.  :)

Sandra.
xxx