The Sewing Place

Sew Today reduces frequency of publication

Elnnina

Re: Sew Today reduces frequency of publication
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 15:08:23 PM »
Well I happen to have the letter from Sew Today in my hand, as I have been trying to contact them by phone unsuccessfully.

The information  you wanted was that the changes were taking effect from 1st February 2019.  Then they said that in 2019 they will publish 8 issues of Sew Today (formerly 10) beginning with the February/March issue.
This frequency more accurately reflects the timing/introduction of new designs from our six pattern brands, which are first showcased in Sew Today.

Sew Today cover price increases to £5.75, this is the first increase since 2015.

To reflect the changes in publication frequency AND cover price we are REDUCING the SEW TODAY subscription rates.
Quarterly Direct Debits will be REDUCED to £7.00 (formerly £8) in line with the timing of your individual subscription.
Annual £37.50 subscriptions already paid will be EXTENDED so that 10 issues are received, thus ensuring subscribers receive the full value of their subscription payment.

Sew Today cover dates for 2019 will be:
February/March
April
May/June
July/August
September
October
November
December/January
Subscription rates from 1 February 2019:
£34.00 one-off payment or direct debit £7.00 every three months.

They also said that you need take no action regarding the above changes, but if you have any queries do please get in touch Email Lisa: uk.eusales@cssindustries.com or call: 0344 880 1263, she will be pleased to assist you.

Well according to an even earlier letter when the changeover first happened, the phone line is manned from  9am – 1pm Monday – Friday, but despite leaving a message as they ask they do not seem to return any calls – well I haven’t had a call back yet.  Neither do I receive a newsletter – perhaps because my e-mail address changed a few years ago, but then I have never ever had an e-mail from them when they were down in Havant.

This nil response to their customers is a shame, as being a member of the Sewing Club it is quite a decent discount 40% off their patterns, especially the Vogues ones which are the most pricey.  I have even held on to the  sheet with my address on from them as this gives my sewing club number – if I hadn’t held on to this I would have been lost.  I do hope that they can soon get themselves sorted out, as I not only get patterns from them when I want to I also use the Palmer/Pletsch Perfect Pattern Paper, and have some of the Palmer/Pletsch fusible interfacings.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 15:58:13 PM »
I shouldn't worry @Elnnina, I've had the same problem with communications and cancelled.  I also like the Palmer Pleitch interfacings and have managed to find some on Ebay although wrong colour.  It is still advertised in the magazine but nowhere on the website.

Eventually they will get the message that customers need cosseting in this day and age.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »
Following on to my frustration with the Sew Direct website, I eventually used the ‘contact us’ part and I then received yesterday afternoon several e-mails from Lisa who is the person who deals with the on line pattern ordering.  She has been so helpful,  and this morning she  telephoned me and we finished off ordering the patterns I wanted.

I have been a member of the ‘sewing club’ for several years now, and have enjoyed the 40% discount on the patterns – it makes a huge difference to over the counter prices, and I was having difficulty in getting anywhere with their new system as the screen would regularly freeze.

Lisa actually confirmed that they are still having a few problems with the new set up, so perhaps those of you who are also having difficulties make contact with them via the ‘contact us’ section and hopefully Lisa will be able to sort it out for you.

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »
Got my copy of Sew Today this morning.
Insert sheet informing that this issue - September 2020 is the last printed edition.

Going completely digital. Subscription £14 every 6 months. Subscription will include a voucher for one free pattern every six months.

Right now I have no idea whether to carry on or cancel.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 15:48:15 PM »
Yes I had mine today, although to be  fair they've been free since around December 2017 when they cocked everything up. I am tempted by the free pattern, which I suppose reduces the cost although recently I've been digging old patterns out to use. I might try logging on and see if accepts me.   

The only thing of interest (which I will look okay in) is the Sanra Betzina long  jacket V1713.  I really like that,most of the others are a bit too not me (with being short) and the one with trousers with elastic on the waistband looks a bit of a dogs breakfast to me.  I've gone off Simplicity since I did a jacket that had to have ginormous seams to get rid of the fabric, fortunately I'd done it in some navy (which I hate) to try out so no big deal.

I wonder if this move is down to the cockup when they changed websites, because they've reverted to the USA website style.  Lost many customers?
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 16:18:25 PM »
Well I have filled in the validation form and it has accepted me so I await my new password etc.

Incidentally the second 'new'  web site has given me instant access to Perfect Fuse interfacing, which is a vast change, the revised old one which drew blank on a search. even though a few months earlier the search produced the goods.

Perhaps now the children have gone back to school, grownups are now in charge.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 16:59:27 PM »
The Sewdirect website is horrible.  I have bookmarked Sewessentials, which is nicely organised.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 18:33:23 PM »
Got my copy of Sew Today this morning.
Insert sheet informing that this issue - September 2020 is the last printed edition.

Going completely digital. Subscription £14 every 6 months. Subscription will include a voucher for one free pattern every six months.

Right now I have no idea whether to carry on or cancel.

Wish i had read this earlier. I wanted a Vogue pattern so decided to buy the subscription and get the pattern free, sub was £14, which should have rung bells, and pattern £17. Anyway, now received email saying i can view the mags on line. I didn't realize they had gone digital i thought i was signing up for a paper copy, oh well.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
I had considered starting mine up again after a break of 2 years, during which they still sent me a magazine.  All I was really bothered about was the free pattern or discounted ones.  However, I've had a rethink, because I have so many now, I've started having  good look at them before I start anything, especially with separates.  The last one I got was the Claire Shaeffer pattern and I got that off Amazon for £13.  I've even dug one out that I had years, put off doing because of the pattern picture front and it was fabulous finished (well I think it is).  So I'm saving my money and will wait for the 50% deals that keep going around.

Most of them are just variations with a new number.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Vogue version of the Chanel jacket 7975 was going to have a more modern pattern picture and be renumbered as it looked dated.