The Sewing Place

Adding straps to strapless wedding dress

Sheilago

Adding straps to strapless wedding dress
« on: February 07, 2019, 00:55:07 AM »
My daughter is marrying in July and has bought a very simple chiffon dress with a lace over jacket. She thinks she may take the jacket off at the reception and would prefer to have straps on the dress.
Do any of you experts have any ideas? She will need to have it taken up, so there will be some matching chiffon available. I’m not doing the taking up myself as I’m not skillful enough ( mainly a patchworker!) to deal with all the layers of fine fabric, but I think I could do the straps. I don’t want the straps to detract from the pretty off the shoulder neckline of the jacket, so I wonder is there anything I could do other than simple shoe string straps. Originally I thought of pleated chiffon straps, but not sure how that would work.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Kwaaked

Re: Adding straps to strapless wedding dress
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
You could mimic the jacket and put the straps to be off the shoulder as well.  Or have them detachable and have them put on if she gets her skirt bustled.

These are for sale, but it shows sort of what I am talking about.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:45:06 AM »
You could do the straps in the chiffon, as you say, but make them detachable. Maybe attach them securely at the front (or back?) and leave them dangling inside the dress until they're needed.

Sometimes you're lucky and find a pair of optional spaghetti straps in a little bag on the sales tag with strapless dresses.

That lace is really beautiful....so pretty.  :loveit:

Sandra.
xxx

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:21:12 AM »
Just plain spaghetti straps to match...or rhinestone string straps for a little bling.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
Definitely detachable, she won't want them showing whilst wearing that lovely jacket, and just narrow, plain chiffon spaghetti straps.  You might need to use a cord inside the tube to make it stronger.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:46:15 AM »
Could you use the sort of arrangement they use for detachable bra straps?  Where a metal hook thingy slips through a fabric loop inside the bodice.  Then she can attach or not.

I like the idea of diamante straps, DD has those on one of her dresses I think.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Rosieh

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:52:21 AM »
Thinking diamante would look stunning, or chiffon tied as a halter. I follow this ladie's blog, she is amazing with how she makes alterations. https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com/

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 16:52:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions. I hadn’t thought about making them detachable, but that would certainly work. I will ask my daughter which of the ideas she likes. Knew you clever people would come up with something! I will also looks at the website suggested. :D