The Sewing Place

Hello, I Live in Harefield, Middlesex

Christine

Hello, I Live in Harefield, Middlesex
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »
Hiya,  I started sewing at a very young age and remember sewing small bits and pieces on a treadle we had in the house.  It was just in the house because my mum didn't make anything. I don't know why it was there.

I choose CSE Needlework as one of my options at school and got the top grade and throughout my teenager and early twenties years, made a few clothes.  By that time the treadle had gone into the garage and my mum bought a new Singer.  That would have been mid 70's.  Again she never used it but I did and eventually made my wedding dress!  Long with a train and big Greensleeve type sleeves.

Once my children were born, two boys, twin girls, I then made clothes for them not many but I remember being proud of my little twin girls in the their little pink dresses, with matching bonnets.

Then I just stopped sewing.  The machine I had at the time went into the loft and stayed there for over 25 years!! It was 4 years ago, that my husband got the machine out of the loft, at my request and I started sewing again.  Things had changed.  What the hell are fat quarters?!! I soon found out. Lol

I have made a few clothes for my small grandchildren and made some lovely handbags and totes I fiddle and practice mainly.   I also have an embroidery machine and make stuff on that.

At the moment I'm getting my head round English Paper Piecing as I want something to take and do on a long haul flight.

annieeg

Re: Hello, I Live in Harefield, Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
Welcome to TSP  :drink:
What embroidery machine do you use?
Annieeg

maliw

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »
Hello and welcome. I've taken hexagons on holiday with me for the last 18 months - great if the flight is delayed!!!!!!!!
Hope you enjoy TSP :)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Christine

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »
I have a Brother Innovis 97e Embroidery Machine.  I'm not hankering for a larger hooped size as I'm happy with this one.

I'm hoping the EPP will keep me occupied and make me fall asleep - lol.  Off to Oz in November.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
Welcome Christine.  Like you, I was a returnee to sewing after a break of 20+ years as are many members here.  I know what you mean about things having changed.  Make sure you visit the Darkside (patchwork & quilting).
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
I've recently started getting back into English Paper Piecing - it's great for doing in front of the TV in the evenings, and I love the control you get over hand sewing.

It seems to be something that a lot of us are doing at the moment.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 13:05:15 PM »
Hello and welcome from another Christine.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 14:25:19 PM »
I like my name.  I am called, Christine, Chris, Chrissie, Tina and Teen.  Tina is what my blood relatives and their friends, call me and it's shortened to Teen.  All others, I'm know as the other 3. 

The name Christine came up in a film the other night and Christine was told 'what a pretty name'.  I blushed - lol.

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 14:36:00 PM »
Welcome Christine, I am also a returner to dressmaking after about 25 years, have fun and have a good look around, there is lots of interesting and helpful information here.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 16:32:35 PM »
Hello @Christine  and welcome from me too  :toast:  hope we can also entice you over to the dressmaking side  :devil:

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 17:52:51 PM »
Welcome, Christine.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 19:20:27 PM »
Welcome back to the wonderful world of sewing and welcome to our lovely club  :toast:.

fajita

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 20:49:11 PM »
Welcome, @Christine  :flower: :drink:

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 23:21:39 PM »
Welcome to TSP Christine.
 :sew: :thread:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Christine

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
I am a serial dieter and my weight is very much up at the moment so making clothes for myself seems pointless when, after going to all the trouble, I take off the weight.  I keep saying once I get to a certain dress size, I will get my patterns and fabric out (yes I have a stash of both!) but I haven't got to that size yet.  So, yes Nevis5, I will be enticed over to the dressmaking side.  Thanks  :D

Thank you all so much for the welcomes.  I look forward to browsing the site and putting in my four penny worth now and again. Actually, I already have - lol ;)