The Sewing Place

How stretch & superstretch are different to universal & jersey/ballpoint needles

Marniesews

Prompted by a question from @Lollipop  I've finally put together a comparative list of needle features from data sheets I was sent by Schmetz a year or two ago (procrastination champion here) and pulled out the details specifically for knit/stretch needles and serger/coverstitch.

There are several differences on shape of elements such as eyes and depth shank, both relate to thread control but the latter brings the stretch needles closer to the hook so the thread loop is less likely to slip off and cause a skipped stitch. It makes it very clear that the jersey needle is just a universal with a more rounded tip but nothing else.

The ELx needles have 2 grooves, a common feature for use in overlockers & coverstitch but the HAx1SP superstretch compensates for having a single groove by the fact that it's wider. This makes me sound a very sad individual but I have learned to live with it.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

I meant to attach this info sheet on the superstretch needles too but don't seem able to do that by modifying the original post.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

WildAtlanticWay

Sorry, but I can’t see the info sheet and it sounds really interesting.   :(

SkoutSews

Interesting information, I'd never thought too much about needles in the past. Various posts on this site have made it clear that they're more than a sharpened fishbone with a hole! Would love to see the info sheet if you can find a way to post it or link to it.

I have the Schmetz app on my phone and it's handy, but doesn't have full details on all the needles.

Marniesews

Hmm, the info sheet downloaded okay on my phone (I posted this from my laptop) but it wouldn't open the comparison chart. I've now converted them both to jpg files so we'll try again.

Sharpened fishbone @SkoutSews ? You're such a romantic!  0_0 0_0 0_0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 13:36:10 PM by Marniesews »

Marniesews

Hope that worked, for some reason the comparison chart didn't attach that time so I'll try that one again now...

Acorn

Ooh - thanks for those @Marniesews - saved for future reference.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

WildAtlanticWay

Thank you @Marniesews

I’ve saved the 2 files for reference.

After reading your first post, I had a little google and downloaded the SCHMETZ App and their newsletter.

https://issuu.com/schmetzneedles

As a newbie, the more I learn, the more I realise how little I really know.  -<

Marniesews

I've never thought to look them up on issuu. 63 to read - that'll keep me busy. Thank you @WildAtlanticWay   :)

SkoutSews

Thanks @Marniesews, I'll keep those details.

I like the idea of being a romantic, I'll try to live up to it!

Bodgeitandscarper

Thank you, @Marniesews , that's interesting.  It's amazing how such tiny differences in needles do make a difference when sewing.

Lollipop

Thank you @Marniesews. I couldn't understand why I couldn't see the attachments then I realised I wasn't logged in!! :S

I will get some of these and hope I don't go through as many as I currently do!
Was Sewnanny