The Sewing Place

Ernest Wright scissors in Production again.

BrendaP

Ernest Wright scissors in Production again.
« on: February 07, 2019, 17:23:17 PM »
I've just opened an email from the new owners  0_0
Limited range at present but they are on the way back.
https://www.ernestwright.co.uk/
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

Re: Ernest Wright scissors in Production again.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 17:31:37 PM »
Woohoo!  I have really wanted to buy a pair of their embroidery scissors for a while, to replace my inferior chinese version.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 17:48:35 PM »
Just signed up for the newsletter. I do hope they can keep the business going.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lollipop

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 21:25:33 PM »
Good news, I hope their range increases and they keep flying the flag for Sheffield. :snip:
Was Sewnanny

crafter

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 23:07:19 PM »
I am so pleased that this company is up and running again.  There is no way though that I could justify £185 or a pair of scissors  I could ask for them as a Christmas or Birthday present I suppose, but it was hard enough to get my son to buy pair of duck billed scissors a few years ago.  He just couldn't understand it.
A perfectionist never achieves perfection.  If perfection was achieved, then the standard was not set high enough.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 23:20:22 PM »
The stork embroidery scissors are £30 which is, I think, about the same as they were two or three years ago.  Interesting that they were originally designed for cutting the umbilical cord.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

crafter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 23:40:36 PM »
The stork embroidery scissors are £30 which is, I think, about the same as they were two or three years ago.  Interesting that they were originally designed for cutting the umbilical cord.

Knowing what they go for as 'antiques' at auctions, they are probably an investment.
A perfectionist never achieves perfection.  If perfection was achieved, then the standard was not set high enough.

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
Considering I have said scissor design tattooed on myself I probably should get a better pair.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
Excellent, subscribed to their newsletter! Thank you for this info Brenda
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 10:08:46 AM »

Thanks @BrendaP I always wondered about the stork, now I know.
Stash reductions 2019 31m
Stash additions 2019 55m

Seweasy

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 17:57:45 PM »
I too received the email and can say Im so happy that Ernest Wright have found the right buyer, that will enable Ernest Wright to bounce back....as their website displays, The Brand Lives On.....whoo hoo... 0_0  0_0
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 13:10:27 PM »
As a contributor to the abortive Kickstarter campaign I received an email from them a while back telling me that it had been purchased (by a couple of the Kickstarter contributors, who did not want to see the name lost forever) but that none of the KS donations would be honoured.  While I understand that the KS punt was a gamble, I thought that the very least they could have done was to offer a percentage discount on the purchase of one of the new line of products, to show appreciation.  Ah, well, at least the craftsmen are back in a job.

Fiona M

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 14:48:11 PM »
As a contributor to the abortive Kickstarter campaign I received an email from them a while back telling me that it had been purchased (by a couple of the Kickstarter contributors, who did not want to see the name lost forever) but that none of the KS donations would be honoured.  While I understand that the KS punt was a gamble, I thought that the very least they could have done was to offer a percentage discount on the purchase of one of the new line of products, to show appreciation.  Ah, well, at least the craftsmen are back in a job.
I was a KS contributor too.  Reading the information provided in the last update though, it seems the company was in very, very poor shape, equipment not maintained, factory not meeting basic H&S standards etc.  I'm guessing the two chaps who bought the brand did not realise how much time it was going to take, or the amount of capital they would have to inject, to get things up and running to standard, and probably couldn't afford to offer the KS people much even if they wanted to.
Great news for the company and employees though.  I hope they prosper.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 14:49:42 PM by Fiona M »

Barcoded

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 23:45:15 PM »
They have changed the name though, ‘hand made scissor ltd’ that doesn’t quite have the historical aspect 
I think I have joined the 201 club

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 19:01:01 PM »
All the public facing promotion and website has retained the name Ernest Wright so the product and business will still be called that by customers. They have registered the names 'Ernest Wright' and 'Kutrite' as their trade marks.

Must admit the pair I've just asked for are Gingher though.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...