The Sewing Place

Great book on activewear - anyone like to know more?

Marniesews

Great book on activewear - anyone like to know more?
« on: March 09, 2019, 19:03:52 PM »
I've just had a good look at this book, a birthday gift from OH (selected from my helpful hyperlinked list  ;) ). I'm really pleased with it - the absolute opposite response to last year's activewear book by Mellis Fehr (Fehr Trade) foolishly bought unseen.

I'm so impressed I'd like to share it with you so I wondereid if anyone would be interested in a more detailed description of the two? I feel I can be more discerning now I have the experience of having made a few fitness garments myself.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sleepingwolf

Re: Great book on activewear - anyone like to know more?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 20:14:45 PM »
I have been trying to decide between these two books for a while now.  I would be interested to know what you think.

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 20:44:54 PM »
I would love to hear your opinion on them Marnie. :)
Was Sewnanny

fajita

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 21:00:14 PM »
Yes please, do review.

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 21:00:32 PM »
I have the Fehr  haven’t yet made anything from it - was planning to experiment on DD1 runs and cycles. I’d appreciate a review of both books.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 22:22:50 PM »
Will do!. Will make a start and take some pics of a few pages too as I go.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 22:56:36 PM »
I'm also interested.

While we wait for your review,  :drink: , here's a link to the "look inside" page at Amazon for the above book.

BurdaStyle has online courses and there is one for sewing and drafting a workout collection, 7 pieces. PDF slopers are included. The instructor is personable. I bought the course. I watched some of it but got no further.

There is a free mini course for the running tank, sloper included, that may be of interest.

A lot of the reviews on the Fehr Trade book that I've seen are less than flattering. Generally that it's not well organized and sizing can be off.

Looking forward to your reviews.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 00:47:08 AM »
A lot of the reviews on the Fehr Trade book that I've seen are less than flattering. Generally that it's not well organized and sizing can be off.

I wouldn't disagree with that. The photos alone were a bit of red flag to me but I'll try to be more objective.

Fiona M

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »
Following with interest!

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »
I would be interested in your views MS.  DGD Lilya is really getting keen on her gymnastics now - as well as the dancing, and I've got a request for the purple leotard from the Greatest Showman for her birthday.  :S

In the meantime, I'll go and have a look at the Amazon links...  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 22:58:14 PM »
DGD Lilya is really getting keen on her gymnastics now - as well as the dancing, and I've got a request for the purple leotard from the Greatest Showman for her birthday.  :S

As you've mentioned dancewear @b15erk you won't be surprised to know that this is something I've been thinking about while reading through both of the activewear books. The bad news is that both of them focus on Activewear as fitness gear, nevertheless, Johanna's book is still packed with step-by-step photos and descriptions of techniques and information that are equally useful when sewing lycra dancewear. There's not so much for us dancewear makers in the Fehr Trade book, however, as it's based on her patterns so the techniques (explained with line drawings) are related to each specific garment as you proceed through the book. She does have an introduction that includes fabrics and sewing with technical fabrics etc but I'll get into that next time.

I've also just sent off for a used book recommended by a dancewear maker that I understand includes swimsuits and leotards. I really don't know if there's anything in it for me but a used copy in good condition was only a few pounds. I can tell you it is Singer Sewing Activewear by Cy Decosse. It was quoted as a resource that a dancewear maker found useful when she started but I've been reading so much and surfing all over the web recently that the source of the recommendation entirely escapes me right now.  :[ I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

I'm just going back through the Fehr Trade book to refresh my memory and making some notes but time is running away from me this week as I've a couple of days away coming up but I'll have something for you all by the weekend at least.  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 22:38:50 PM »
walks across room, picks up Singer Sewing Activewear.....

It would likely be useful, especially if you need to make bodysuit type leotards including good directions on color blocking and tights ,including how to add stirrups. It's sections are : Getting started, Actionwear-leotards & swimwear, tights and biking clothes; Comfortwear-think sweats and warm up clothes, rugby shirts & shorts; Outerwear- wind breakers, rain poncho, insulated stuff and Personal Style- fashion add ons in the form of ribbon trims, braids, piping, etc.

It's from 1986, so doesn't address any of the newer technical fabrics and of course styles are passe. There are a lot of photos with captions that clearly take you through techniques being shown.

As a wanna-be active wear sewist I find it a good starting place for me. There is a lot of good information that shopld apply for dance wear as well.

The Sewing with an Overlock book from the same series is really good, as is Sewing Pants That Fit.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.