The Sewing Place

Are waistcoats (vests) a thing again?

SewRuthieSews

Are waistcoats (vests) a thing again?
« on: February 08, 2019, 22:54:02 PM »
I used to make little waistcoat front with a satin back and lining from the scraps left from making trousers/skirts.
Are these back in current wear do you think?
I've seen more men in waistcoats - perhaps the Gareth Southgate effect

Renegade Sewist

Re: Are waistcoats (vests) a thing again?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:01:47 AM »
Stylecaster says they are. I'm just not certain what types of vest are fashionable now.

I've always loved them. I have one I loved to death taken from a 1940's vintage mans tuxedo. It was a silk faille in front, low curved lapel and I replaced the carved black mother of pearl studs with some I found in an antique shop. The new ones were sterling silver mechanism on back and post, with the front being a 14K gold cup with a natural pearl mounted on it. Gorgeous and expensive for "buttons". I still have the vest and would like to do a knock off.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 13:02:39 PM »
it seems mostly to be longer ones with a collar (like a sleeveless jacket).
But also tweed, faux fur, moto style and so on.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 13:52:21 PM »
I love waistcoats, I often make them if I have got enough fabric left to go with a skirt. It was the turning of a waistcoat which brought me to TSF (as was) about 6 years ago, I received such help and encouragement from members that I became a member.
Still learning

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 16:35:53 PM »
Well thanks for the encouragement, if there's enough fabric left from the jacket, skirt and trousers to eke out a little matching waistcoat I shall do just that.
I will probably need a new pattern though as I'm not as slim as I was last time I did waistcoats.
Happily the pattern stash has quite a few to choose from.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 19:40:44 PM »
I made a thing of wearing my old waistcoats at FOQ last year as I decided they needed resurrecting ...
and I was called an artist by none other than Helen Howes for my efforts ...
Maybe I should make some new ones???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 22:26:11 PM »
Perhaps we need a casual waistcoat/vest sew along?  :pin:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:43:46 AM »
I have a knitted waistcoat that I particularly like but it hasn't seen the light of day for a ling time.  I like it because it is the only thing I have ever kniited from the fleece of my own sheep.  It was spun for me by a very dear lady who has recently died at the age of 97.  Our Welsh sheep have fleece that is much too coarse for wearing but this one was a Shetland cross.
Life's too short for ironing.