The Sewing Place

Re-cover IKEA Poang chair

WildAtlanticWay

Re-cover IKEA Poang chair
« on: February 09, 2019, 14:25:24 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I’m hoping to put a cover on my chair as the cream one gets grubby easily. I ordered some curtain weight fabric online and it’s arrived so I can make a start. 

The original cover is one long piece with a fold over cushion at the top and a flat section in the middle between the back and the seat pad.

I was originally thinking of just making a loose cover to fit over the existing cream cover but I’m not sure how to do it.
I usually make simple cushion covers by doing the envelope (no zips) style and hoping I can do something similar here.
Do you think that will work?

I could try adding zips but as I don’t have any long zips I’d have to order them online and wait until they arrived. I’d definitely appreciate advice on what sort of zips to buy.

BrendaP

Re: Re-cover IKEA Poang chair
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 18:10:25 PM »
Could you use velcro to hold an envelope style cover closed?  If it's behind the headrest section it should be out of the way.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 18:57:39 PM »
I was wondering about that too.

I think I’ve worked out that if I sew a long front cover that covers the seat and 2 back pieces with narrow openings at the back near the seat to slide in the original cover, it should be ok and not really noticeable.  :P

If it works out ok, I’ll post a picture.  8)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 16:02:37 PM »
Did you manage to figure this out?

It's a nice chair, I'd be interested to see how you did it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 17:25:19 PM »
I would have just used the old cover as a pattern for a completely new cushion and kept a paper pattern for future use. It would be easy to replace every few years that way with fresh foam when needed - and no messing with adjusting a slip cover.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 23:01:43 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 23:04:57 PM »
I’ve made a rough copy of the cover by pinning the wrong side of the fabric around the original cover. I drew lines around the pins and then removed some of the pins so I could take the stripey cover off to sew it.

It still needs a few finishing touches but I’m quite happy with how it works for now. I’ve not used any zips or fastenings as it’s essentially a big envelope style cushion cover. 

Sakar

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 05:54:16 AM »
*wow* I like the Ikea products, but this is a really good improvement!!!  0_0 Congratulations!!!