The Sewing Place

Curtain help/opinions

Francesca

Curtain help/opinions
« on: March 02, 2019, 13:51:56 PM »
As I'm sure some of you will remember, a few years back I made a pair of floor length curtains for my living room. I admit, I never hemmed them  :ninja:

The curtains have always been a massive, massive issue. They are too heavy for the bay window pole. They are so heavy that the "passover" rings can't pass over the bracket so we are stuck only being able to pull the curtains out from the middle section. This means our three-windowed bay is pretty much always reduced to one as the we can only part them on the straight bit. They also block the radiator, which means on cold nights we have to pile the ends up on the windowsill to fully expose the radiator.

I'm getting sick of it and am now considering cutting them down a bit.  I'm thinking of making them short, so just covering the window. This means no more radiator issue and they'll also be much lighter. I'm not a fan of short curtains really BUT we have so much furniture in this room you can't see the ends anyway! The ends are hidden behind our TV bench and our bar so what's the point?

I'm also considering reducing the fullness. I think I did they 2.5 but I find they are really heavily pleated and I think this is also part of the issue. I'm considering reducing them down to 1.5 or 2. A distinctly unpleasant job as it means unpicking all the header tape so I can turn them inside out again - so that would be a last resort if the shortening doesn't help.

After that I'm considering just getting window film and frosting the bottom parts of the windows for privacy. We'll basically never need to close the curtains then. Only thing is the cat likes looking out the window. Am I insane?

Any thoughts appreciated. They're driving me mad. Pics for reference:

Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram

Greybird

Re: Curtain help/opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 14:21:51 PM »
They do look nice. Ideally, floor length curtains are preferable but there are situations where they just aren't practical. It's no good having a radiator if all your heat is going to disappear up the back of the curtains. What I do think looks bad is when the curtains are hanging "half mast" between the sill and the floor. If they are going to be short, they need to be just clear of the sill, or, if you use tie-backs or hold-backs, just underneath the sill. I wouldn't reduce them to any less than 2.5 x width - they tend to look mean if there isn't enough fabric. You don't need to worry about unpicking the heading tape though - the easiest way to shorten curtains is to cut the tops off and remake the headings with new tape.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 16:06:25 PM »
The ends are hidden behind our TV bench and our bar

Why has that invitation for the Im's to visit been so tardy Fran??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 17:46:44 PM »
Come right over!
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Radiofan

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 17:54:25 PM »
Personally, I prefer my curtains to finish just above the window sill, this way most of the heat from the radiator by-passes the window. All of my curtains are like this.

As for curtain fullness, I go for somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5, which is almost flat-panel but with a bit of a wave in it.
I would attach a photo, but it looks like I need to subscribe to do that.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 17:56:36 PM »
I'm now wondering whether I do keep it simple and just cut them short OR do I hack them all up and make them into roman blinds.

This means getting two further blind kits (I already have one) and the faff that goes into squaring up large roman blinds but would mean a nice, neat option where I can fully pull up the blind.

We're only planning to be in this house for possibly another year, so it seems like a faff - but then I thought that last year and here we still are.
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 18:01:15 PM »
I think that as long curtains that fullness is lovely, but if shortened they will look too puffy.
If you make them narrower, then surely you wouldn't need to unpick much of the header tape?  Just enough to turn the edges in?  Or is that me bodging it? 

crafter

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 18:03:19 PM »
I'm now wondering whether I do keep it simple and just cut them short OR do I hack them all up and make them into roman blinds.

That's what I would do. :D
A perfectionist never achieves perfection.  If perfection was achieved, then the standard was not set high enough.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 18:08:21 PM »
@Francesca  It sounds like whatever you decide to do you will have a big job on your hands - shortening, reducing bulk or turning them into blinds  :S v frustrating. If it was me I would make blinds therefore being able to let more light in to the room, with the added advantage of having spare fabric left over for other lovely stuff - cushion covers? blinds at another window?

Then again if you are serious about moving house could you just suffer them that bit longer and re-jig them at a different window elsewhere?
👓 changing the world, one stitch at a time

fajita

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 18:12:03 PM »
Put them into storage, buy cheap at IKEA. Then when you move house you have a full range of options.

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 19:16:23 PM »
Put them into storage, buy cheap at IKEA. Then when you move house you have a full range of options.

This is actually seeming like an excellent idea... then I can justify roman blinds for the "new house" (I like the current room we have).
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 19:17:57 PM »
I would say that if you are likely to be moving, keep any curtains as large as you can to maximise your chances of being able to use them again.  This goes triply for any curtains you particularly like, of course.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 19:29:12 PM »
I do really like them - but I have recently come to love roman blinds as they're just so neat and easy to use... so I think it's the right idea.

We don't need 'em lined, as we don't need blackout nor too much thermal protection so I'm thinking very thin "privacy" curtains is the way forward. Hopefully they'd then be able to pass over the brackets properly - it's just a nightmare, they seem to be so heavy they pull the curtain brackets apart.
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 21:59:45 PM »
As soon as I saw you picture I was going to suggest roman blinds they would look so nice in that fabric