The Sewing Place

Sewing machines - lengths of standard, mid long-arm and quilters long-arm

annieeg

Since posting this question - I've discovered that the left hand side of the freearm (from the needle) is longer on the Atelier 5 than on, say, a Pfaff Expression.  This would explain why a Pfaff will fit in the bed of a standard Horn cabinet with room for a Perspex plate.
 :D

Hi,
Sorry if my question is a bit confused, but does anyone know the makes/models of machines which has a longer than standard sewing bed but not as long as quilting machines ... i.e., the space between the needle and the pillar.
E.g. the Janome Atelier 5 has a space of just over 20cms but I'm curious to know whether there's  a machine which has a slightly shorter sewing bed but not as short as a standard "old-fashioned" machine.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 14:51:41 PM by annieeg »

Acorn

Re: Sewing machines - lengths of standard, mid long-arm and quilters long-arm
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 17:11:45 PM »
I can't offer any answers, but I do know that it is incredibly difficult to find out the harp space sizes.  When I enquired about it (from the usual online suppliers) for a few machines a while ago one clearly had no idea what the harp space was, and the other made up an answer that I knew was wrong.

I cannot understand why the info isn't easily available.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 17:41:39 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sakar

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 17:37:46 PM »
Sorry, double posting....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 17:40:27 PM by Sakar »

Sakar

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 17:39:02 PM »
I can't really answer your question, but maybe these pics are a little help....

My machine is a Pfall Quilt Expression 4.2 and I totally love it  <3 0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 17:46:31 PM »
You need to look at the manufacturer's websites to find the specs of the fifferent machines.

Pfaff refer to the harp space as 'needle to post distance' which on the Expression is 250mm (10")
http://www.pfaff.com/en-US/Machines#.54

Janome Atelier range have a 'work space width' of 8.3 inches
http://janome.co.uk/janome_products/atelier-9/ then 'full specification'

Janome Horizon 8900QCP has a  'work space width' of 11 inches.
http://janome.co.uk/janome_products/horizon-8900qcp/

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 17:57:20 PM »
Thank you to all of you and especially to @Sakar for the so clear pictures.
I know have enough data on which to base my choice.
 :D

Sakar

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 17:20:23 PM »
@annieeg And who is the winner? :)

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:41:46 AM »
@Sakar
The "winner" is my Atelier 5 in a standard Horn cabinet bed with an old Perspex insert which has been re-cut to fit by my DH.
Its not gorgeous but it does work; the key issue being that the extra long arm at the left hand side of the needle leaves the tiniest space (<0.5 cm) but he did manage to leave the edge in place to the insert fits in.
I can't possibly compete with your fantastic photos, but attached is my sad attempt ... :|
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  thanks again to all for your input.
Annieeg

Sakar

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 09:13:59 AM »
Gorgeous is not necessary. Your sewing place has to fit your needs that you can produce gorgeous things  0_0 And your pic is great too :)

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
Don't know about gorgeous @Sakar I'm just impressed with the pin cushion on your machine, well the machine as well really, I'm a Pfaff fan.  Black lace as well :loveit:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 17:09:44 PM »

Don't know about gorgeous @Sakar I'm just impressed with the pin cushion on your machine, well the machine as well really, I'm a Pfaff fan.  Black lace as well

On date nights, she wears it on her thigh !!!  ;)   :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »
@Iminei

@Gernella originally it was a black cat's face, but the ears got the holder of some clover clips, so now my "cat" has hanging ears ... :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:19:33 AM by Sakar »

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:16 AM »
Yes @Sakar , I'd seen those as well and thought what a good place for them.  I got using them with my last jacket that didn't like pins and now I use them for nearly everything, particularly zips.

It's a shame really because something like that I just could not be arsed to make myself (the last pin cushion I got off Ebay, and it was so beautifully made for something so small it was worth every penny).

If there are any crafters on this  site who can make them, I want one, black lace and elastic please, otherwise I'll have to bodge and wind veterinary bandage round my source of pleasure.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included