The Sewing Place

Pfaff Expression 4.0

annieeg

Pfaff Expression 4.0
« on: February 10, 2019, 15:06:50 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge/opinion of this machine ?

Efemera

Re: Pfaff Expression 4.0
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 16:33:48 PM »
Yes I have one.... the only bug bear is the tension. The top tension is always too tight, you can pull out the threads easily unless you loosen it. I thought it was my machine but I tried a new one in Hobkirk’s and it was just the same. Other than that a great machine

Sakar

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 16:58:56 PM »
I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and it's an absolutly fantastic machine! I really love it and would never change it again  0_0

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 19:08:26 PM »
I had a QE4.0 and it was C**P. The later versions may be better, but after I'd had 2 exchanges - one from the dealer and another from VSM after I complained to the MD, I got rid of it and bought a Bernina. It (the Pfaff) was a real disappointment compared to my old Pfaff tiptronic (which I still have).

The QE4.0 would sew in a straight line beautifully, but I wanted it for FMQ and despite trying all sorts of threads etc, it would break the thread every few inches. I got other people to try it in case it was just me, and the same thing happened to them. Also the tension hook (the uppy-downy bit) on the first one was just that - a hook, and unthreaded itself frequently. The later 4.0s had a clip fitted to reduce this possibility.

If you're looking at one, check which version it is. Or get a Bernina.  ;)

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 13:59:22 PM »
I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and it's an absolutly fantastic machine! I really love it and would never change it again  0_0

Love my 4.2 as well :loveit:@annieeg I see from your other post that you mention insertion into the Horn cabinet.  I have mine in a Horn cabinet but have not bothered with a perspex plate as if you leave the accessory tray on the machine it practically fills the gap widthways.  I have my machine sitting to the front of the gap and the only noticeable space is behind the machine which doesn't affect anything anyway. The height of the section that the machine is on has been adjusted so that the front of the machine and accessory tray butt up against it. As you'll see from Sakar's pic this is curved.  Another point worth noting is that because of the width of the 4.2 you can't actually drop it down inside the cabinet for storage  (the handwheel gets in the way).  You would need to lift the machine off the table and physically put it onto the dropped down bed.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 16:19:47 PM »
@Efemera  My Quilt Expression has the same tension setting. I think they set it up for quilting when the thread has to go through several layers.  Would that make sense?  It is a nuisance to have to change it on the screen. I did prefer the dial on the front!
It weighs a ton too, I need help to get it onto the table. OK, I can, but I'm afraid of doing my back in again.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 16:25:57 PM »
I've got my Expression 4.2 in a Horn cabinet.  I can push the lift down with the machine on it but I have to shift the machine so that it is central.  I was able to use the perspex insert that fitted my Pfaff Ambition.  When I use the machine on top of the cabinet I have to pull the machine almost to the front edge to be able to use the knee lift.
I've only had the Expression 4.2 for a couple of months but I really like it.  I find the menus much more intuitive than the Ambition.  The only thing that it not an improvement is the needle threader.  It is quite bulky and that makes it difficult to get the thread into the last bit before the needle and it doesn't leave a lot of room for putting the bobbin in - but if I'd never known any different it wouldn't bother me I suppose.
I don't have any problem with the default tension though I did loosen it a bit for seams on lining fabric. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 16:28:21 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Sakar

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 17:08:47 PM »
I've only had the Expression 4.2 for a couple of months but I really like it. 

The only thing that it not an improvement is the needle threader.

@Ploshkin  May I ask , why you had it just fur some months?

What a relief.... And I thought, I was too stupid for this needle threader  :P

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 17:21:58 PM »
@Ploshkin  May I ask , why you had it just fur some months?
@Sakar I still have the Quilt expression 4.2, I only bought it 2 months ago.  It has been discontinued and I got it for a really good price.  I think I will have it for a very long time.
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
I've got my Expression 4.2 in a Horn cabinet.  I can push the lift down with the machine on it but I have to shift the machine so that it is central.  I was able to use the perspex insert that fitted my Pfaff Ambition.  When I use the machine on top of the cabinet I have to pull the machine almost to the front edge to be able to use the knee lift.
I've only had the Expression 4.2 for a couple of months but I really like it.  I find the menus much more intuitive than the Ambition.  The only thing that it not an improvement is the needle threader.  It is quite bulky and that makes it difficult to get the thread into the last bit before the needle and it doesn't leave a lot of room for putting the bobbin in - but if I'd never known any different it wouldn't bother me I suppose.
I don't have any problem with the default tension though I did loosen it a bit for seams on lining fabric. 

Yes @Ploshkin, you are absolutely right.  My apologies!  I've got so used to keeping the accessory tray connected that I didn't even check the manoeuvrability without it.