The Sewing Place

Independent pattern companies

Gernella

Re: Independent pattern companies
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »
I've only ever made one Tilly pattern.  I reckon she makes them for my 20yr old self.  I 'stretched' the fabric according to her instructions and thought I had enough, I added from the armholes and down because it seemed to go in a lot to me.  It was still a bit close fitting, which is fine in winter but too hot in summer.

My staple New Look top pattern has a sleeve from a McCalls pattern along with the neck band.

I stopped using Simplicity years ago when a jacket turned out massive with chunks having to be taken out of the body.  Butterick tend to run small (on me), McCalls about right, same with Vogue and Itch to Stitch. Waffle, made for small boned Japanese ladies and not big boned British.

I have yet to start my Stylearc and I do fancy the Grainline top to try.  I also have a Jennifer Stern one which has not been printed off yet.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
I don't know why I buy patterns! They need so much adjustment I never end up with much of the original (and I will  mess around with the things to get what I wanted, not what they give me).
I have however bought Vogue, McCalls and New Look in recent years, but New Look was more for DD's.  But that is only in sales at half price and tends to be for a bit  of a pattern to see how it is done.
The independents all seem too basic and as I have patterns dating back to the 60's see no reason to buy them, nothing new there so I move along.
And so many free patterns online, if I have to make adjustments I might as well do it on a free pattern and not pay for it!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
I don't know why I buy patterns! They need so much adjustment I never end up with much of the original (and I will  mess around with the things to get what I wanted, not what they give me).
BB

Sounds familiar @Bumblebuncher.  I messed around with an Ottobre coat pattern and it’s not bad.  But still wondering whether to just scrap it and draft one myself.   

Gernella

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »

The independents all seem too basic and as I have patterns dating back to the 60's see no reason to buy them, nothing new there so I move along.

I had to chuck my old patterns away @Bumblebuncher  I'd moved up, to a 16 when I started sewing again.  Although I never did tops unless woven fabrics, mostly dresses and duster coats  :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2021, 12:09:08 PM »
@Gernella I have patterns that go from a size 10 (from the 60's so more a size 6/8 now  >:) ) to a size 22!  I have been a size 10-22 through the years:scream:
As most patterns are graded in sizes and cover a range, you can see where the adjustments are made by the company and carry it on a bit further, adding a bit here and there (or taking it off) to get the size you want.
It is second nature to me to play with the pattern while cutting out as there is never enough boobie  :laughing:
I can pretty much do an FBA without any measuring or calculating these days and just do the adjustment while cutting out!
I also change the pattern with little things like adding a hood to a blouse pattern as I cut out.  Not had any major disasters but wouldn't win me any prizes  :dance:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Starryfish

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2021, 12:52:28 PM »
I have made a few Marfy patterns, beautiful designs but no instructions at all. I made my MOG outfit for my sons wedding from a pattern of theirs.
There are some nice new patterns this season.
https://www.marfy.it/sewing-pattern-7044.html . I rather fancy this jacket if I could find some faux sheepskin with a lovely outer finish.
They make me wish I was a stylish Italian older lady, sipping espresso and eating tiny pastries in a cafe on a palazzo. They make lovely little bite size pastries so you don't get crumbs on your perfectly fitted trousers or skirt. I would also have a stylish older man in english tailored jacket and trousers accompanying me. Ah well, back to reality ( Dh is wearing a fleece and extremely old almost ragged trousers with his feet on the coffee table.)
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2021, 13:58:20 PM »
@Starryfish  I would take being a stylish anything  :laughing:
Plus a rich, stylish older man would complete the dream  ;)
BB

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2021, 14:31:16 PM »
Oh yes @Starryfish maybe I’ll join you.  I’d be dressed in silk and cashmere. And I think a glass of Prosecco would be required as well. 

My 'stylish older man' is sat in his grubby gardening jumper and baggy jeans stuffing crisps!  :laughing:

So Chic

« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2021, 14:39:45 PM »
I like Style Arc as they seem to fit me with very little alteration although the instructions are fairly minimal.  Of the Big 4 only Vogue is a decent fit, Simplicity always run big and I don't like either Butterick or McCalls.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Starryfish

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2021, 16:27:48 PM »
@sochic,

Simplicity have been running big for 50 years in my experience. I still remember the dress I made ( by hand in my bedsit) to wear to the rather hurried wedding of two friends.  :[
It was too big all over, a strange feeling, I was a size 8 at the time. Fast forward 40 years to the first skirt I made after coming back to sewing, I made a size 12 , it spun round and round on my waist. Who needs that much ease?

Style Arc is the mainstay of my wardrobe these days. The right amount of ease every time.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

shiri74

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2022, 11:12:51 AM »
Hi! new here!
If I can also recommend such a site with PDF Patterns (also easy level) -
 :angel: not so objective because its a friend of mine but it is an interesting up-to-date fashion trends patterns and interesting content.

Edit by moderator : Link removed. 25 posts needed before links may be posted. Please see relevant paragraph in the membership agreement
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 14:35:34 PM by Iminei »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2022, 09:31:17 AM »
New Indie pattern company. Only 4 patterns so far but the coat and trousers look interesting here
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet