The Sewing Place

Stashbust in 2019

Francesca

Stashbust in 2019
« on: February 11, 2019, 14:35:04 PM »
Based on the success of the stashbusting competition for January, some suggested they'd like to carry on. So I introduce our non-official 2019 stashbust!

There are no rules or regulations. This is about you deciding how you want to stashbust, defining your own goals and cheering others on along the way.

This thread will run all year, and conclude at the end of 2019. Whether you choose to diligently stashbust along and record your numbers or just join in the thread is up to you.

I'd recommend if you want to take this seriously, defining your goal statement in a post here, and keeping track of your numbers either in a spreadsheet or in your signature. If you want to copy my signature, here is the code, just copy & paste it into the "signature" field on "Profile > Forum profile"

Code: [Select]
<b>Stash Busting 2019</b>
Goal: 100 metres
So far: 0m metres

If you're keen to get a handle on your stash this year I also have a dummy version of my stash spreadsheet. Just copy all the cells into your own sheet on Google Docs or Excel: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ndFVln4BHzRqwnN61rP4EQZh31EHT0rYIN_MHOELWM/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 18:46:00 PM by Francesca »

Ellabella

Re: Stashbust in 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 15:56:19 PM »
Good idea Fran, it helps to see it written down.

I’m not measuring all mine but my aim is not to buy any fabric for at least 6 months. I did buy some fabric and lining for a tailored jacket for my sewing class but no more after that.

Just realised I used 4m of curtain lining yesterday so will have to amend my signature.  0_0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 15:58:08 PM by Ellabella »

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 20:19:13 PM »
I am very impressed that you all seem to know how much, by length, you have in your stashes.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 17:19:37 PM »
Well I've altered my profile so that's a start!

I'm aiming on the low side although, I think I have more, but I'm hoping it can be achieved. After last year's almost none event even half would be acceptable....... I won't say that I won't buy any new fabric but I do want to try to use what I have. It's still a fair few garments as I'm only 5'1" and size 6-8 so a top doesn't take much fabric, good for buying but not so good when you're trying to use it up!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 17:22:51 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 17:33:26 PM »
I’m still stashbusting but don’t want to make lists and spreadsheets..is it OK to still post in this thread?

Lyn-J

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 17:39:06 PM »
Not going to get out my stash and measure it, takes up to much valuable sewing time. No spread sheets for the same reason. 100m is a good estimate  ;)
I've got stuff on the go, I must take piccies.

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 18:03:51 PM »
I'm in.  Last year I tried to do the 50 yards but only got to 26 I think (it could have been 28).  That's probably all I can try for this year too.  I'm not that prolific.

I would like to at least sew up enough to get all fabric on the shelf and not have the current overflow into other nooks of my sewing room. 

The last time I bought fabric was in May Sept when I was in Portland.  I am not very tempted lately.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:16:08 AM by mudcat »

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 18:19:45 PM »
I have decided to combine what I was doing for the year-long UFO challenge, with stashbusting and sorting out things that have been needing repair and alteration for years.

I've got 9 crates of the stuff; stash, unfinished garments, things that need altering - including a bass guitar case!

I need the space urgently.

So, my signature hopefully reflects this!
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 18:28:14 PM »
Only 9 crates @Goth Gardiner:devil:
Yes I want to stashbust this year too but I fear I'd be shocked if I put my stash in a spreadsheet!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 15:10:41 PM »
Well that came as a shock. I catalogue all my fabrics as I buy them, so I know how much each piece is, but I’ve never added it all up.

Here goes woven          121 mtrs
                Knit/jersey.    55 mtrs
                Fleece.            7 mtrs
                Lining.           20 mtrs

Total.             203 mtrs

UFO’s.              7 (mainly summer clothes)

I’ve decided that I will never get the stash down to zero, it’s just not realistic.

I’ve started by matching some fabric with patterns that I’ve already made the fit adjustments.

My problem is I like to sew for an event and to a deadline......so I need to get out more 0_0

I must remember this is a hobby and as such has to be enjoyable.

Procrastination get behind me

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 20:07:43 PM »
@Holly Berry wow that's some stash.
I will continue to use my stash but no idea how much I have and cannot be bothered to measure it all or fill in spreadsheets. I can't guarantee that I will remember to add us the usage either but will continue to let you know what I have made.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
My stash is so disorganised that it would be impossible to quantify - let's just say, there's a lot....  :S

Is it necessary to give an estimate, or is it enough to say by how much you would like to get rid of sew?

Can we also include toiles in this?

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
I thought I had quite a big stash, but it pales into insignificance compared to most of you!  Absolutely no idea how many yards, and absolutely no intention of measuring it all  0_0
I usually buy fabric when I need some, but then other bits fall into my basket by accident because I like them so much, which means I want to make them into something straight away, so my stash doesn't grow too much.  My wardrobe, however...

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
Me too @Bodgeitandscarper . This has made me take a closer look at what I have. I now have 4 pieces of uncut fabric - the rest is leftover bits that might go towards making something someday.

Holly Berry

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »
By writing it down, it’s almost overwhelmed me! However I’m determined to to make inroads into it.
I haven’t told my OH that we need an extension for a walk in wardrobe, because when I make it all up I’ll need it.

Rather than clog this thread up I will just post a picture of the fabric with metreage and pattern and plot my progress on my diary and then post a picture here of the finished garment.

Procrastination get behind me