The Sewing Place

Stashbust in 2019

Ann

Re: Stashbust in 2019
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2019, 11:12:01 AM »
Another bag is done and once I get a couple of small bags sewn, will ship it to my friend in BC. We taught school together for 12 years.

The two small bags will be out of a dog print that I need to buy. In the mean time, I am going to make 2 doll skirts and use up .3 meter of fabric. I'm closing into almost 45 meters sewn this year. August has been a slower month as we have been doing other things outside.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ellabella

« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2019, 22:38:02 PM »
DGD wearing the Lolita top from Puperita, slightly crumpled but she’s had it on all day.

It’s a lovely quick make and with its elastic neckline it’s really easy to get on and off.

I can’t claim a big stash reduction though as it was made from the scraps left from a top I made her Mum.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kwaaked

« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
We won't get into my stash.  Yes, it's large and no, I haven't sewn much this year.

I also don't generally go on fabric fasts; I do well enough when I feel I have too much and stop buying.  I've been in that hold pattern for a couple of years.

I have purchased about 66 yards of fabric last month, and about 50 more all year long.  I have a planned 10-20 yard purchase next month or so, and that will be the end of what I buy.  50 yards of this, however, was for a wedding dress.  While I don't expect to use all the fabric (11 yds of crepe de chine, 25 of satin and 15 of china silk), my cost sheet accounted for all of it, so what is left is going to be a "freebie" as it were; it will neither get added to the stash nor taken from it when I use it.  The rest is either stuff I used fairly quick or am currently working on.

My goal for the year was about 200 yards out, which is about 2 garments a week on average in yardage, but as you can see, about 25% of my yearly goal is one dress.  The SWAKOP is about 20% of the total (about 37 yards), and another 15 yards for my daughter to get a few things (7%), and haven't sewn for myself enough to worry about.  So within 3 months, I'll have a little over half of yearly sewing out of the way, although the garment total is far below, leaving me a little under 100 yards to go within a 10 week period.

My in/out of fabric is odd.  I often do weird fabric hogs which accounts for a massive amount out quickly, and I may add or may not...nothing is set in stone.  I also don't do one garment until it is finished; a lot of the time I have several things going at once, so my fabric being used is X amount, but not counted until I finish it and it is in garment bags.

As to the yearly plan, after the above mentioned, there are things I have to finish/do which will account for fabric that is not listed.
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2019, 21:28:43 PM »
@Kwaaked, we each have our own way of dealing with our stash and how much we have.  It all goes to how we are wired.

After I had a nap this afternoon (hot and humid here and I'm tired from it all) I went down to the sewing room and cut 4 meters of fabric (lobster). I got 8 napkins and 2 simple reusable grocery bags out of the fabric. There is some lobster fabric that is reverse to this and I will use it on the bags as decorations. In all, I'll probably use up 4.3 meters of those fabrics. I'm ready to sew when I have an hour here and there.  I also measure out a couple of pieces of fabric and I can make DDIL a Bendy Bag and a Bendy Bit bag. I have the zippers for them. I'm having a bit of a Snoopy dance on that one. I like it when plans come together.

When done that, I started to hem DGS's uniform trousers. I have 2 pairs to hem which will take me several afternoons as I don't rush at them. He needs them in 2 weeks. Plenty of time but I need to keep focused on doing them.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
Well, my sewing resolutions came to naught this last week.  I've been so busy - at home and at work, that I've had no time to sew. 

My houseguests are back from their holiday tomorrow, and still no news of the contract being signed on their new house.

Our house selling laws need urgent review.  Although they have spent thousands on searches and contracts, and had to leave their own house or break the chain, their vendor could still pull out.  :o  It's going to be havoc next week when the children are back at school, and mum and dad are back at work - the school run will be a nightmare as our house is a lot further away than the new one (or even the old one)!

I also have an eye operation scheduled for next Friday, and don't yet know how functional I will be ...

So, no imminent signs of more stashbusting from me.  :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Starryfish

« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2019, 16:20:22 PM »
Finally got round to taking photos of my last 3 makes.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I made a long sleeve top last winter , and there was enough left for this one(Blank slate top). About .7m used up. It's quite a long top, I'm not sure if it isn't too long, but that's easily fixed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 16:22:50 PM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Starryfish

« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2019, 16:28:50 PM »

This is an Itch to Stitch Uvita sweater in a cotton mix knit which has been lurking in the stash for years. I shortened the sleeves and hem by about 3 inches, as it looked wrong. 1.5m gone

Starryfish

« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2019, 16:32:17 PM »

A style arc t top in viscose jersey. This was left over from a failed top, which turned out far too low in the neckline. It a very drapey fabric, I have had it in stash for years. 1.5m gone.

Ann

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
@Starryfish - nice collection of tops. I think you are ready for fall with that collection.

I cut out and almost finished a reading pillow. I used up 1 meter of fabric of Halloween fabric, .35 meter of two other fabrics left over from other projects, I also used a 22" zipper, .5 meter of batting and a meter of interfacing that was in the stash.

The fleece was suppose to be fusible and wasn't. We had several bolts shipped to the fabric store I worked in that were marked fusible and weren't. I ended up cross hatching the fleece to the fabric. The back of the pillow felt thin compared to the front so I interfaced the 2 pieces before inserting the zipper.

I have the pillow ready to sew together and when I get the pillow form I will post pictures. It was great to see more fabric from the stash sewn up. Especially the Halloween fabric.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2019, 21:51:38 PM »
Reading pillow is done and I'm thrilled with it. Glad to have the fabric out of the stash.

Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
It is Sept. 1 and I have to say I am happy with August's sewing output.

Sewn - 7.45 meters
Cut-      4.30 meters
Total-  11.75 meters
Year Total (including the cut fabric) 52.45 meters

I haven't kept track of what I bought but I do know there is fabric for 3 bags that will be made later this month. There is also 4 fat quarters for bags. Next year, I am going to keep track of what I buy (in fabric) and all I sew (out fabric) so I know what my totals actually are. That will give me a true picture of what I am actually sewing.

I'm working on a small project that has machine embroidery on it. I hope two more sewing sessions and it will be done. It is further along than this.

It hasn't been without its problems. I sewed a plastic flower pin head onto the pocket I put in and when I removed it, I cut a hole in the fabric. Had to redo that piece.
Stash Busting 2023

Efemera

« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2019, 19:02:15 PM »
2 nighties... 3m used
39.3m to date.

Ann

« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
Though I've been busy sewing, the amount of stash sewn has been 1.2 meters this month. I have finished up a shirt that I had accounted for back in February and then did three doll items which use the 1.2 meters of fabric. I knew that when I set up the list of items I wanted to sew for the last half of September. I decided to finish up some UFO's.

October's list is in the making and it has some bags and a pillow planned. That will use up a lot of fabric from the stash. I am making lists to keep me accountable. I have been bouncing around with ideas and was all over the place. I found keeping myself accountable is helping me focus more on using up the stash and less on buying fabrics for new projects.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2019, 16:36:27 PM »
I finished a bag for DD. She will be using it for her lunch bag.

It really reminds me of a cozy flannel shirt. And I used 3.25 meters of fabric and interfacing from the stash.

I'm set up and ready to do a rolled edge on a scarf for DD that came from her stash. It's been in my stash for 9 months.
Stash Busting 2023

Ellabella

« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2019, 19:04:58 PM »
That looks lovely @Ann. My DH would love a shirt in that fabric.
  • Ann likes this