The Sewing Place

Stashbust in 2019

b15erk

Re: Stashbust in 2019
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
I've just been back and added up how much stash I've used, and I'm up to a wonderful 12 mtrs (approx.) stash fabric used!  Very pleased, but the worrying thing is, it hasn't even made a dent in the stash... :S :(

My total includes this last project, a new ironing board cover.  I ran it up quickly last night, when I realised how grotty the existing one looked.

Now to knock off a few UFO's!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Helen M

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2019, 15:25:10 PM »
Finally got something to report and that my stash has been reduced! I've finished a beach/poolside cover up by Hot Patterns. It's a free download as well http://contentm.mkt2178.com/lp/814/2043/HP_fabric.com_PEACHY_BEACHY_POOLSIDE_COVER_UP_MAY_2010.pdf?cm_re=SL1-_-crhdqtr-_-Beach%20Coverup

It's only used a measly 2 metres but it's a start! It's also a UFO as it was cut out well over a year ago. The fabric was originally a sarong think, of a scarf like fabric so horrible to work with. I'm just glad it's finished!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sorry for the large picture, I can't work out how to resize from my phone.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 15:43:38 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

b15erk

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
No pics yet, but I made 4 fitted Moses basket sheets last night for a couple of DD's friends with newborns.  DGD is also expecting, so, I've dug out some stuff I used to decorate her swinging crib some 26 years ago, and I intend to use the last of it decorating a Moses basket for the new little girl - yes, another girl.  Poor Theo will grow up surrounded by hormonal females!

I've managed to piece the backs on a couple of the sheets, so I'm getting rid of some of the annoying smaller bits of fabric.

So, another 2 mtrs approx.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2019, 09:04:05 AM »
Finished off the Moses Sheets last night, approx. 3mtrs.  For two of them, I've used a lovely soft fleecy fabric to go next to baby's skin, DD loved those. Plans are underway to re-furb Theo's old Moses basket.  This was one which was left at our house, so it's only been used a handful of times - it will use up lots of stash.  ;)

Cut out a Teddy Bear as well.  I would love to make a successful teddy, as it would use up lots of scraps.  The pattern was a free one from Sew magazine and is their pattern for a Memory Bear.  It's going to be my Scrappy Bear if it works!

That should keep me out of mischief over the weekend!

Jessie

Jessie

Efemera

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2019, 17:30:05 PM »
Another 2.5 meters used.

mudcat

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2019, 00:36:00 AM »
I used two yards today making a set of napkins.  First thing I've sewn this year outside of a test knit sleeveless top (that was a disaster).  Since I may reuse that fabric to test something else I can't count it as stash busting.

After a rather long sewing break I am starting to feel the urge to sew again. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:33:04 AM by mudcat »

b15erk

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
I've got a bit of a foot in two camps today.  I did lots of sewing at the weekend, the Toile Bear was totally from stash, but didn't take a lot of fabric, perhaps half a metre, but I do have a lot of small pieces, and it was useful for getting rid of them.  The bear itself is just the first of a few I plan to make and will not be given away as it was simple a try out to identify difficult areas.  I've not had many successful toys, so hopefully I can get a decent bear at the end of the process.

The second project is a little difficult to categorise - stashbust or UFO?.  The strip blocks were made years ago, but they were made from stash, no extra fabric.  At last I got some kind of finished top from them, I just need to add some wadding, a back, and do some simple quilting and binding.  I will call it done then.

I practised the sashing on some even older odd blocks, and have one block left over from the strip blocks to add to the back. 

Happy with this little lot, (apart from the bear) just need to finish them off now!

Jessie

CCL

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
Mudcat, I adore that fabric...and napkins are a great way to show the full range of critters.

I have a ton of shirting left overs that I have always planned to make into a mashup fabric from which to make another shirt for BH.  I also thought I might be able to cut each pattern piece out of a separate remnant.  This may be the year I do it.

A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

mudcat

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2019, 04:35:41 AM »
Mudcat, I adore that fabric...and napkins are a great way to show the full range of critters.

They are fabrics I picked up in Alaska last year.  The critters are sharks, moose and bears and they all have the word Alaska spelled in the design. 

Acorn

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2019, 17:04:25 PM »
A worthy stashbust!  I have had the fabric for 25 to 30 years.  Probably bought at Truro Fabrics when they were in a series of little shops in the back streets of Truro.  I think it's Laura Ashley lawn.

It's for my goddaughter who will be 2 in August.  There are more details (and pictures) on my Diary thread.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2019, 17:46:14 PM »
Really sweet 0_0

b15erk

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
Hhmmphhh… first stash fail - I think.  Saying that, even if it's a fail, it's going to result in less fabric stash, so maybe not a fail in that sense (well, I think I know what I mean).

OK, let me explain.  I'd managed to get hold of NewLook 6213, and made a copy on Saturday afternoon.  Monday morning I lifted out the fabric I wanted to use.  After dinner last night, I went up to cut it out.

AAARRGGHH!  Fabric is too narrow for the pattern pieces.  I then spent 45minutes searching for other suitable fabric, and found some lovelies.  Then the doubt set in.  What if it doesn't fit?  What if I hate it?  So, better use some fabric I'm not so bothered about, right?

Found a nice-ish, thin-ish satin geometric which was a large remnant, and a very queer shape.  So, I used that.  Halfway through, I realised that this was a piece I had earmarked as a jacket lining... :S  Not only that, I don't think it's going to be suitable as a garment.

I think it's going to be a 'proper' toile, and consigned to the bin when I've finished with it.  :S

Still, it will be a few more metres gone from the stash!   ;)

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
And valuable information about your pattern, which might lead to more stash-busting!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Morzel

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
@b15erk , the nice thing about a big stash is, that usually there are other fabrics suitable for the same task ready at hand! You might find another fabric lining in your stash for the jacket... As long as the fabric has served a good cause (either wearable or useful toile) there is no more to wish for, I think... So don't feel bad.

@mudcat gave me a stash busting idea with her napkins. My daughter was complaining about us using paper napkins anyway, so I decided to use the nice woven cotton fabrics I got in stash for napkins. I got lots of pieces, of varying size - smaller ones I bought because they were nice designs, larger pieces that were ment to be twirly girls dresses. I sewed A LOT of those for all my daughters friends as birthday presents, so I always had different colours and designs on hand. But now they've all grown out of those sort of dresses (its all jumpsuits, tshirts and blouses nowadays) and I can use up the fabrics for something else.
I used this tutorial about self binding napkins. My squares are 45cm and 35 cm (I made a cardboard template) and the size is good to use. I sewed up 26 napkins for now, there are a few more cut out. I tried to mostly use all different fabric combinations for the napkins to be distinguishable in the end. The leftovers of the fabrics I put aside for my mother - she likes to use them for baby quilts. I used up around 11m of fabric for those napkins! Some of them we will keep, most will be given away. Yay for stash busting AND using the nice fabric with a way to look at it often!
Eva

annieeg

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2019, 10:00:07 AM »
@Morzel
Love your napkins and the neat mitred corners.  I've bookmarked the tutorial so thank you for that link.
Annieeg :)