The Sewing Place

Stashbust in 2019

toileandtrouble

Re: Stashbust in 2019
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2019, 03:38:27 AM »
@KayK On the other hand, if you find an exciting fabric, you can go ahead and buy it, without guilt. Also you will have more space to sew in.  Sometimes I wish I didn't have a stash. As it is I'm aiming for less. 2 out for 1 in sounds do-able. Ignoring the quilt box, which is an experiment and should be self limiting, this is the new strong me.
So far, used 3m for waistslips, 2m for trousers, 2m for a shirt, 6m for pyjamas. 13m. Bought, 10 m of lawn to underline some fine see through dresses, 1.5m linen for a shirt. You see my problem?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2019, 15:30:09 PM »
I felt the need for a distraction for a few minutes, as I've spent the day worrying about my DD and her little family desperately trying to meet extremely unreasonable (imo), deadlines to move out, or break the chain.

So, I downloaded the app that @Ann kindly linked to, and spent a few minutes putting my information in.

I have so far used the grand total of 31.5 yards of fabric!

I am delighted, but do need to speed up a bit - there are many, many metres to go.... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2019, 15:48:19 PM »
After my fabric buying moratorium at the beginning of the year I have completely fallen off the wagon!
I bought fabric for a big full skirted dress and it was so beautiful that I'm afraid to ruin it so I bought more for a toile. It's lovely too and surprisingly good quality considering what I paid for it so it's hanging about close to the 'too nice to ruin' pile too!
Somebody help me.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ann

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2019, 21:21:32 PM »
Glad you like the program @b15erk. I really like it. Like you, I need to sew faster.

Today, no major sewing as I had to do our budget. We are saving for a trip to Scotland next year.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2019, 20:53:20 PM »
I finished another bag and I cut up most of a meter. It will be gone when I do parts for another bag and a 3 tiered skirt for the dolls.

And the back.

The next bag will have the fabrics come out of the stash. I'm happy about that as I need to keep digging and finding pieces that well with each other.
Stash Busting 2023

Lilian

« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2019, 21:04:06 PM »
That's lovely @Ann I like the colours and the fabric pattern.  Nice job  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ellabella

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2019, 22:25:57 PM »
I’ve realised where I am going wrong with this stash busting lark. 

I’ve made some odd things for my DD and SIL over the years, think octopus legs for a fancy dress costume and a pair of sleeves for Freddy Kruger but I really enjoyed the latest request.

My beautiful 9 month old GD is going to her first Comicon as the Staypuft man from Ghostbusters.

My problem is that her dress took all of 0.5m but I bought about 1.7m to make it. I can never resist when @Francesca has one of her fabric clearouts.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
@Ellabella , I do that too!  Just in case I run out!

That is a lovely outfit btw.  I love sewing for the littlies, they just love everything!

@Ann , you bag is lovely, and I particularly like the fastening strap.  I tried to do something like that on the cuff of some trousers, but couldn't figure out how.

Not done any sewing for a while as I have lodgers (DD and family are waiting for probate to go through on their new house).

Jessie
  • Ann likes this
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2019, 05:35:40 AM »
@Ellabella, love the cute outfit you made for your DGD. It is so sweet.

I had to make a Bendy Bag by Lazy Girl Designs and this one turned out cuter than I thought it would.

I put the lady bug buttons on it because I had them and they give a hint as to what the lining is.

There are two large triangles left and I am going to make Sweet Pea Pods out of them. I am having fun using up the scraps of fabric. I can see more of these in the books.
Stash Busting 2023

annieeg

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
@b15erk
Hi,
Can you post the link to the Stashbuster (I can't find it !)
thanks in advance  :)
Annie

b15erk

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »
@annieeg , it was Ann who brought it to my attention and posted the link a few posts ago.  But Here it is.

I'm sure you'll find it helpful, I certainly have.

Jessie

annieeg

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
@b15erk and @Ann - thank you for the stashbuster link. 0_0
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2019, 12:49:34 PM »
@annieeg, enjoy the excel spreadsheet. I love it and this is the second year I have used it.

I do have a game plan when using it. If I buy fabrics and use them up, I don't record them as purchased and do not count them in stash used. If I stash it for longer than 30 days I record it as purchased and then when I use it.

I set my goal (which I am not meeting), put Multiplier at 100, and the units as meters. What i am most interested in is how much I have bought and stashed and how much I have used out of the stash. I do include craft weight interfacing, fusible fleece and some other interfacing I've had in the stash for a long time. It has helped me focus on using them up and I know I will have to buy more as time goes on. I'm okay with that as my goal was to use up what I have on hand.

When this spreadsheet was posted, a lot of ladies decided to measure their stash and record it. I chose not to. It is  on the shelves for me to see and the goal, for me, was to sew it up and buy as little as possible. I wasn't going to use precious time to measure the fabric I had. I measure it when I use it up. And for me, that works.

Another goal I set this year was to sew up the scraps of fabric left over from projects rather than put them back into the stash. I'm at about 65% of meeting that goal. My biggest reasons are getting tired of sewing the fabric or I need to buy more fabric to finish the project.

In December I will look at my totals and see what I will change for 2020. I may not record what I've put into the stash and record every meter I sew whether it is from the stash or new bought. I may use the purchased column for new bought fabric so I can track all the incoming fabric. These are ideas floating around in my head. What works for me, may not work for other people. And that is great.
Stash Busting 2023

annieeg

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2019, 13:54:10 PM »
@Ann
Thanks for the very helpful post.  I have loads of fabric bought years ago and that's what I need to catalogue and then use up. 
For me, its all too easy to keep buying and I totally forget what I've got already! 0_0
Thanks again.
Annie

Ann

« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2019, 21:24:36 PM »
I finished up the lady bug and black fabric today. I have a bit of the black for piping on another project. This little bag is called a Bendy Bit and will be perfect for a phone charger and headphones.

The three pieces look good together so mission accomplished.

Now to start the next big bag and see what I can create with the fabric I have.
Stash Busting 2023