The Sewing Place

Style Arc flash sale

sewmuchmore

Style Arc flash sale
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
25% of all tops, blouses, shirts and cardigans with code 25OFFTOPS until Saturday. site
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: Style Arc flash sale
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:14:08 PM »
No no no no no... yes!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

crafter

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 21:40:50 PM »
No threat to me.  I have yet to post piccies of my Style Arc disasters.  Won't be buying them again.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 23:30:58 PM »
3 and the freebie, now all I need is my new roll of tracing paper to be delivered. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:02:11 AM »
@crafter they don't work well for me either, but if I don't want to draft all of them myself it is what it is.

This is where slopers come in handy, which is what I do.  Place my own sloper on a traced pattern and then fix it from there.

It's like the freebie, the Blossom.  In order for me to get that to work, I'd have to add darts, lengthen the peplum, add a drawstring to the waist.  Saying that, I like the blouse, but it's a good starting point for what I want...which is pretty much what Style Arc is for me.

I also don't think SA is really meant for hourglass, which is what I am...and more rectangle, which is what the designer looks like she has.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
I’m tempted to buy.  :P

Do you buy the pdf versions and are they easy enough to work out how to stick them together or is it very complicated and would you recommend buying the postal version?

I’m thinking that even if they’re a bit advanced for me, I could save them until I feel more confident.

The top I’m doing at my sewing class is using stretch jersey which was a silly mistake (!) but I’m hoping I’ll learn from it.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
They’re very easy to use.. easy to put together. I stick together then trace and keep the original. When you order you get 3 sizes, the one you need and one size  either side of that.

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »
I'd say Style Arc are about the easiest PDFs to put together. Go for a simple pattern and you will be fine.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 09:45:41 AM »
I also don't think SA is really meant for hourglass, which is what I am...and more rectangle, which is what the designer looks like she has.
Speaking as a (bumpy) rectangle,  I'd say you were right.

I've just bought the Avery, Fleur, Loren jacket (not on sale, but I was going to get it this month anyway) and the Blossom.  I am very tempted by the Teddy, and may return today.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
They are generally easy to put together and are well drafted but come with minimal instructions.
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 14:14:52 PM »
You can still get single sizes (you actually get 3 but they are separate downloads) on the patterns that come in multisized PDFs. I was concerned at first as the print outs would have been huge if you were only wanting a size 6 and got all sizes up to 22+ included.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 17:27:22 PM »
And don't forget if you are buying 2+ patterns buy in separate transactions then you can get both freebies.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 17:46:02 PM »
Erm..what freebies?   -<

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 18:01:14 PM »

crafter

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 18:13:20 PM »
I was wearing one of my Annika Style Arc top yesterday.  I only wear them around the house they are that bad.  My husband commented that because I have biggish boobies the tops go straight out from my boobs and therefore don't give me any shape below.  In fact they stick out.  The pattern needs either bust darts or the sides need shaping.  That's fine, I can do that, but why should I when I have paid all that money for a pattern.  I have one more thing to make from the patterns I bought and that is a pair of trousers.  Might make a start on them soon, but it is half term week, so maybe not.

I haven't drafted my own patterns since I made bridalwear but I think I will start doing so again.  I can certainly do better than Style Arc.

In fact. I don't rate many of these indi pattern companies at all, much better design and cutting with, say, Vogue.