The Sewing Place

A quick knit...

Francesca

A quick knit...
« on: February 14, 2019, 14:34:57 PM »
I'm trying to decide on something that I can knit quickly from stash.

We just found out that my boyfriend's Grandmother has breast cancer. She is having a double masectomy this week and a follow-up of chemo after. I don't really know many more details than that, and she is an otherwise healthy woman so everything crossed for her (I feel so terrible for my boyfriend, she is his only surviving grandparent and he lost his Grandad to cancer just before I met him so I think it's hit him quite hard).

We're going to send a card but I didn't want to send flowers too as I know her place is small and I'm sure she'll get some. Plus they die too quickly  :( So I'm going to start knitting something that I can hopefully finish in the next week or two and send to her.

I'm trying to decide between an Erika Knight fur muffler (in the blue as shown here) or a cowl of some sort in Adrafil Cristallo which has a nice sparkle in it
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 100 metres
So far: 13.3m metres

My Blog - Plus Girl Sews // Follow me on Instagram :)

BrendaP

Re: A quick knit...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 17:30:11 PM »
Fingers crossed that it all goes well for her, prognosis is so much better now.  :*

If she will be on chemotherapy the chances are her skin will be super sensitive, so make sure you choose a very soft yarn.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 17:55:59 PM »
I think either would be lovely - no doubt the gift will be the thing that will be appreciated, rather than precisely what it is.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 18:19:05 PM »
I hope her treatment is successful.  My mum had quite advanced breast cancer 2 years ago at the age of 87.  She had a double mastectomy and radiotherapy and bounced back very quickly.  She makes me feel tired sometimes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 20:12:39 PM »
Fingers crossed that it all goes well for her, prognosis is so much better now.  :*

If she will be on chemotherapy the chances are her skin will be super sensitive, so make sure you choose a very soft yarn.

I'm thinking the Erika Knight then as it's definitely the softest.
Stash Busting 2019

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 20:15:05 PM »
I hope her treatment is successful.  My mum had quite advanced breast cancer 2 years ago at the age of 87.  She had a double mastectomy and radiotherapy and bounced back very quickly.  She makes me feel tired sometimes.

That's very good to hear. I admit I am very lucky to have a family not at all plagued by cancers (don't think a single relative on either my Mum's or Dad's sides have suffered any cancer that I know of) so it's not really anything I've been touched by. She is a very healthy 76 year old. Three years ago she hiked the Camino de Santiago which is 500 miles and got a tattoo to commemorate it!
Stash Busting 2019

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:04 AM »
The muffler is a better choice anyway. You can put it on one handed and it doesn't mess up your hair. Cowls take two hands. My understanding is that one can be sore and reaching can be a bit painful for a while after the surgery, varying depending on the individual.

It's very thoughtful of you to want to do something for her.  :flower:
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

Missie

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 14:22:34 PM »
Three years ago she hiked the Camino de Santiago which is 500 miles and got a tattoo to commemorate it!

Wow!  That is some feat.  How long did it take her?  It is on my bucket list, but maybe not all of it.  I watched a film about a guy who walked it for his son.

I agree with the muffler!
A measly 2.5m of stash used so far!