The Sewing Place

How do you transfer pattern markings?

mudcat

Re: How do you transfer pattern markings?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 17:37:54 PM »
I snip notches. One snip for a single notch and two snips for a double notch.  Three snips on the rare occasion there is a triple notch.  For anything else I use chalk.  As an example, for a dart I will stick pins in at the point and several points along the line and make a dots with a chalk pencil.  Then I'll use a ruler to connect the dots with tailors chalk (the triangles).  I also use dots regardless of whether a pattern uses squares or other shapes to match up tricky manipulation (like some Tilton patterns) using different chalk colors to differenciate.

In the past I used the tracing wheels with carbon paper and the disappearing ink but they both sometimes left fine lines with some fabrics so I prefer the chalk which thus far has always washed out.  I never could get the hang of the tailors tacks.

elisep

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 11:35:55 AM »
Am I the only one here admitting that I don't always transfer pattern markings?  :|
For darts I normally pin these straight away - two pins to mark the ends of the dart, one at the point and pin and sew straight away (always do my darts before anything else).
Notches - I only ever mark the armhole notches (if it's a sleeved garment) with a snip. Generally I don't ever mark any other notches, except maybe those on princess seams.
Other markings like circles, squares etc, if I do mark them, I normally use tailors tacks or carbon paper and tracing wheel. It depends a lot on the garment I'm making. Expensive or slippery fabric or a difficult pattern or something I can't afford to make a mistake - I spend more time on the markings. A simple pattern or "easy" fabric... minimals markings.
 :ninja:
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Elnnina

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 13:06:19 PM »
Following on from the discussion on  punching holes in paper patterns on Thursday, I went ahead and ordered the one recommended by Fran, and it has arrived this morning - that is speedy service, so thank you again all who recommended something, especially Fran.

Sewingsue

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2019, 13:26:30 PM »
Following on from the discussion on  punching holes in paper patterns on Thursday, I went ahead and ordered the one recommended by Fran, and it has arrived this morning - that is speedy service, so thank you again all who recommended something, especially Fran.
So did I and mine arrived this morning too.
My thanks as well.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

SkoutSews

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2019, 13:57:44 PM »
@elisep, that's my approach too. My mum taught me to sew and she never marked anything! There was a lot of eye-rolling when I took time over markings. She knew what she was doing though, unlike me.

maliw

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2019, 14:29:37 PM »
I'm another one for tailor's tacks for darts etc and cut an outward triangle for matching. However I have been known to use pins for darts, it depends on what I'm making and how I'm feeling- rebellious - then it's pins. Mum would be horrified as she taught me to sew.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

sewingj

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 15:05:27 PM »
@maliw   my mum also taught me.  I mark exactly how she used to, but she tacked everything together before sewing on the machine - and was appalled when I just pinned and sewed over the pins!

Holly Berry

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 15:40:49 PM »
I do as my Mum taught me!!

She started her working life as an industrial machinist and became a sewing and tailoring teacher upto City and Guilds level. However it was do as I say and not do as I do. All seams were matched top and bottom and then matched as she she went along and eyeballed everything else, including watching her putting on a gathered skirt on a bodice by making little pleats with an unpicker  just before the foot. Her foot on the pedal always to the floor.

I on the other hand had to use tailor tacks, but was allowed to cut into seam allowance for notches. Gathers had to be done with 2 rows of stitches. Something else I still do to this day is fit on the outside (wrong side to wrong side) and mark with chalk along the seam lines. Although it all seems a faff when doing it I save a lot of time unpicking and resewing. I’ll never be as good as my Mum though.
Procrastination get behind me

charlotte

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 14:26:07 PM »
Depends on what I'm sewing. I like wax paper and my wheel if I am using an underlining and it won't show through - I use this for all dots and notches and usually mark the stitching lines too. Otherwise, I would usually use a pin and frixion pen and snips for the notches (having tested this when I pressed the fabric). I only go to the trouble of tailors tacks for something fancy or delicate or too sheer for wax paper. For toiles everything gets marked with biro.