The Sewing Place

Lost another shop

toileandtrouble

Lost another shop
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
Sadly, saw that Dutton for Buttons Ilkley shop has now closed down.  York and Harrogate are still open but it's a much longer journey.  Very few button sellers on the internet now too, except China.  There used to be some lovely ones.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Efemera

Re: Lost another shop
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
I’ve never liked them, yes they have a great selection but the York shop is so unfriendly, they watch you like a hawk and just make you feel uncomfortable and they’re so expensive.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
The Ilkley ladies were always friendly.  What is Harrogate like?

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
they watch you like a hawk and just make you feel uncomfortable.

Don't know the shop your talking about but have had lots of this 'watching you like a hawk' over the years I can't bear it! I recently went into a haberdashery shop and picked up some embroidery thread  "thats embroidery thread" the shop assistant bellowed.  I couldn't be bothered answering the rudeness so just left it and walked out!

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
I went to Canterbury yesterday and found that The Sewing Shop had closed and C & H have moved but the new store seems to have a better layout.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 14:17:10 PM »
Sadly, saw that Dutton for Buttons Ilkley shop has now closed down.  York and Harrogate are still open but it's a much longer journey.  Very few button sellers on the internet now too, except China.  There used to be some lovely ones.

Have you looked at Ray Stitch?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Hummingbird

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
Appreciate it's not a bricks and mortar shop but take a look at Totally Buttons
https://www.totallybuttons.com/

They have loads of different buttons, button gifts, bespoke and vintage buttons, and a good search capability.

(I'm nothing to do with running this business, just a customer......)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:20:34 AM by Hummingbird »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
@snoozi soozi  and @Hummingbird  Thank you, bookmarked, I  love them both!  Might take a trip to Harrogate though,  when I finish my coat (not cut out yet) it might need colour matching.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
I've only been to the Harrogate Duttons when I've been to the Knitting and Stitching show and it's been busy but of course that's when the town is full of crafty people! I didn't feel I was being watched particularly. There are one or two fabric shops, some other lovely shops and Betty's for a scone so Harrogate is a favourite place.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde