The Sewing Place

Colour loss

Gernella

Colour loss
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »
About 4 years ago I bought some £1 a meter jersey fabric off Ebay.  Owner closing down so clearing his warehouse and it stunk a bit of damp.  I wasn't into jersey then so left it.  Found it couple of years later, not smelling so managed to get two nice tops out of it.  I was a nice creamy colour, very easy to work with and sew.  First time I washed them, they came out white.  Same thing has happened with jersey from Sherwoods, nice feel, nice colour, easy to work with, and not cheap, only it has taken just a bit longer for the colour to disappear and become sort of off white.

While DH was working I used Ariel Bio because he generally came home with heavy duty stains on his overalls (he was doing something in the garage a couple of days ago and when he walked down the garden I thought there was a strange man wandering around because he'd got the overalls on).  I'm beginning to wonder if I might have to change my powder.  With my allergies I wash bedding in a liquid soap but it's not much cop for stains.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

Re: Colour loss
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
Gernella I had this problem a good few years ago and I contacted the manufacturers which happened to be the ones that make Fairy and Ariel.  Apparently all powders have bleach in them.  The person who answered my call said they are all well trained in their products, and she advised me to switch to liquid tablets(i.e. the sachets of liquid) that is a measured amount rather than guess with the liquid.  The liquid does not have bleach in.

They sent me vouchers to use when shopping, something like £20 worth,  I was also advised that I should use something that is specially for dark clothing this is a liquid for washing dark colours – I have Dreft Dark.

The problem was that I had made several matching tops and skirts and as an example under the collar and front revers this was becoming more and more noticeable that the colour had remained the same whilst the rest was fading and fading fast.  I had been using Fairy Non Bio – suitable for babies as previously I had a severe allergic reaction to Ariel – there is something in Ariel that is not particularly nice.

Why not get in touch with the manufacturers and see what they have to say.

On another point but the in the same vein, I once wanted to add some piping in a contrast colour to an ivory patterned fabric only I could not stabilise the colour of the piping, I was told to use vinegar to set the colour, but apparently no amount of rinsing can get all the vinegar out and thus it starts to rot the fabric.  So I then bought copious amounts of salt to use and that is as far as I got, as the large plastic container I also bought now has huge holes in the side as a result of my  then young grandson sitting on the rocking chair and the rockers hit the side of the container!!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
I tend to use powder for clothes washing (without adding any fabric conditioner) as I’d read that the liquid detergents can gum up the insides of your machine and lead to mould issues. In fact, I’d had to clean my S-in-laws machine when I visited a couple of years ago as it was stinky. She has mental health issues and struggles with some practical tasks.

I currently buy Aldi own brand for coloured fabrics. I think it was a Good Housekeeping Best Buy at some point?

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/product-reviews/a663220/what-is-the-best-type-of-laundry-detergent-for-the-job/

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
I use Aldi liquid, bio for whites and colour for coloureds, never had a problem with fading.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 12:22:04 PM »
I agree with what @Elnnina says about washing powders having bleach in them.  I learned about that ages ago when buying a new washing machine.

Powders and blocks have the bleach and therefore should really only be used for whites.  Liquids and sachets don't have the bleach and are for colours.

Re gumming up of the machine by liquids; I've had that happen with the sachets, a couple of times it was stuck all over the laundry which had to be re-washed to get rid of it but I've never had a problem with liquids.

Nowadays I nearly always use persil non-bio liquid and occasionally Fairy liquid.  If anything needs the bleach content of the powders I add a drop of liquid bleach.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »
I use Lidl's Formil liquid sachets for coloured clothing and don't have a problem. If you use liquid sachets on very low temperature washes (I think 40 and below), the sachets don't dissolve properly and that's where the sticky problem arises. If you want the low temperature you need to cut the sachet and empty the liquid into the soap dispenser.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
I use Fairy or Persil non bio liquid.  We can’t use powders as it clogs up our drains.  Suffice to say the drains in this road have had many residents out on a Sunday afternoon peering down holes!
Have to us non bio as DH has eczema and so did DS when he lived here. I never have a problem with clogged machines.  Find it better than powder in that respect.

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 16:59:58 PM »
I’ve had problems with liquitabs, Fairy non bio, not dissolving properly, using temps below 40c.I just run through a hot was next and that clears it, although that doesn’t help the wash that’s got goo attached. It must be the outer packaging that use.

The only jersey where I’ve had noticeable fading is some expensive digital printed jersey, whose name I can’t remember, but well known.

Procrastination get behind me

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »
I've made myself quite a few tops over the last couple of years and to be honest the cream tops are the only ones that have lost colour.  None of the patterned ones, the pale pinks or the expensive Art Gallery fabric, so maybe it's how the fabric is dyed.

One thing I have done is cut down on the fabric used.  I could never get 60 washes before, I can now.  I might try Aldi powder as well instead of buying the dearest.

P S  One of these days I'm going to write a post and leave it exactly as how first typed without editing!  Some real howlers.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
Liquid soap flakes from Wilko for clothes as there's no bleach in it and Aldi for everything else that might require stain removal.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up