The Sewing Place

Wowed by the Christian Dior exhibition at the V&A

Marniesews

Wowed by the Christian Dior exhibition at the V&A
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:18:42 AM »
I went with a friend to the V&A's Christian Dior exhibition on Thursday. I was excited to go and wasn't disappointed.

There are dresses from Dior's own work in the late forties and fifties right through to the current director, Maria Grazia Chiuri. It's beautifully presented as you might expect with the spaces themselves clearly being given a great deal of thought in lighting effects, unobtrusive atmospheric music and decoration as well as the layout and organisation of the dresses.

I took quite a few photographs but I didn't realise that photography was permitted until we were part way around so sadly I've not got any of Dior's early works shown at the start. Unfortunately this included Princes Margaret's 21st birthday dress. A large black & white photo portrait shows it was probably white or certainly a very pale colour originally but it's now a dark tea stain colour but perhaps that adds to its delicacy and the poignancy of faded beauty.

Others that stood out to me and of which I do have some photos are the room of toiles, looking just as interesting in their purity of construction as the finished embellished gowns and I loved the displays of miniature gowns. The photos aren't great as they were all behind glass but I've included a few anyway.

Well worth visiting followed by a very nice lunch in the cafe - a lovely day out that I'll remember for a long time. I might even go again before it finishes as I was aware of lagging behind my friend and could have easily spent more than the 2 hours we were in there.

I'll attach a few photographs below and if anyone would like to see more you can see them in my Flickr album here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 15:54:16 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Silver Rose

Re: Wowed by the Christian Dior exhibition at the V&A
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
This exhibition has been on my "to do" list and I have until July to visit, it sounds and looks marvellous @Marniesews , thank you for the reminder. I am really looking forward to going.
Still learning

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
It looks fabulous...and I love the miniatures.  :loveit:

Sandra.
xxx

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Ooh thanks, @Marniesews  ! I already have tickets to see this in May, can't wait!  Looks amazing. 

Lyn-J

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:48:17 AM »
Thank you so much for the pictures, I cant get there so much appreciated.
Did you want ti see the garments inside out, I know I would.

Fiona M

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 09:04:46 AM »
I would love to see this!  I got roundly ticked off by 'Security' for taking a photo at the Alexander McQueen exhibition, so It's nice to know photography is permitted at this one.

crafter

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
Thanks @Marniesews.  I have tickets for mid March. Cannot wait.

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
We went to the exhibition when it was in Paris and was completely blown away. We enjoyed it so much we are going to the V&A, but this time spending the whole day, to do it justice.
Procrastination get behind me

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
Wow!    It sure I’ll get there so nice to see piccies.  Surprised you could take photos.  Wasn’t allowed when I went to Vivienne Westwood exhibition there.  And felt we were constantly followed. 

maliw

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 14:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the photos and glad you had a good time. I'd love to go but it probably won't be possible.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 16:27:24 PM »
Did you want ti see the garments inside out, I know I would.
I definitely did @Lyn-J what a great exhibition The Making of a Couture Gown would make in its own right! The history & development, the people, the fabrics, design, embellishments, techniques, the tools… is it being greedy to want so much more?

Dior have made quite a few videos in recent years on the making of their collections which would be a great starting point if there were sufficient demand.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Happymrsg

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 21:49:59 PM »
I'm going in March & am really looking forward to it.

SingingSinger

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 17:31:31 PM »
I'd love to see this exhibition. Must check availability of tickets (or rejoin the V&A)!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 18:41:48 PM »
I’m in London next week but decided not to go but I’ll go the the V&A for lunch.

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »
I've just checked the website as I was hoping to go to this.  It's sold out apart from a few late release (15th of each month) or last minute day tickets.  I'll need to be quicker off the mark in the future  :(