The Sewing Place

Wowed by the Christian Dior exhibition at the V&A

Samantha

Re: Wowed by the Christian Dior exhibition at the V&A
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
I can't wait to go, getting the husband to take me fore my Birthday in June. Even better that you can take photos too.

Samantha

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »
Bahhhh just seen it's sold out  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 15:26:58 PM »
That's real class, the type you never really see these days

Marniesews

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 21:43:55 PM »
For those of you who missed the chance (unless you buy a membership), this lovely video shows the making of a miniature. It's not one from the exhibition but they stole my heart.

Some of these flowermaking techniques were used in quite a few of the dresses.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Samantha

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 19:19:02 PM »
Lots more tickets released today and extended the exhibition! I've just booked my ticket for July  :D

crafter

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 22:18:36 PM »
Seen it at last!  Absolutely beautiful exhibition with so much to see.

Very, very crowded and very, very hot.  Leave your coat and bags at the cloakroom to help you get around.

I would love to see it all again - but when there is no one else there.

So Chic

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 12:52:24 PM »
I went last Friday and agree completely with crafter.  I don't think I saw absolutely everything as it was so crowded but a wonderful exhibition.  The one thing that disappointed me was that there was no display of the YSL Le Smoking.  One of the companies (Style I think) produced a pattern that was very, very loosely based on this which I made and wore it for years until it fell apart.

So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Samantha

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 14:40:21 PM »
Oh no @Francesca  :'( I got the email saying extra tickets now on sale but it took most of the day to be able to get on as the website kept crashing, I brought mine later on that day and there were still plenty then.

Holly Berry

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 19:20:25 PM »
I tried for tickets on the 15th, but the site kept crashing. I see now that although a few tickets are available daily, there’s no mention of ticket releases on the 15th monthly  :'(
Procrastination get behind me

Marniesews

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 05:06:57 AM »
If you've been, are going or disappointed not to be going, you should enjoy this video regardless. It's from a millinery perspective but there are some lovely views of many of the dresses. It's part of a playlist for the exhibition.

It's on the V&A YouTube channel which has a fashion & textiles playlist with 45 videos - well worth a look.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Happymrsg

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 20:36:00 PM »
I saw the exhibition on Thursday evening and it was fantastic.
I was fortunate to buy tickets through The Times and went to a private viewing, with a talk beforehand that was a Q &A between Anna Murphy, fashion editor of The Times and the curator of the exhibition, Oriole Cullen. I didn't know much about Dior so this gave a great insight. She mentioned the miniatures featured in the video Marniesews has posted.
There were around 100 people there so it was really uncrowded and really easy to get a good look at all the exhibits. I've never been to an event like that before, it was wonderful.
I hope all of you who want to see the exhibition are able to do so.

Happymrsg

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 20:15:34 PM »
@Francesca & anyone else who has been unable to get tickets -  I've just seen on the V&A website that more tickets have been released, I looked at a few dates & saw some on Saturdays in April, hopefully there are other dates too.
Good luck

Nevis5

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
Fantastic news, @Francesca   !  As I said elsewhere I'm going tomorrow - can't wait!  xx

Marniesews

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
You'll love it. I'd say make sure you eat before you go in so you can stay there as long as you need to take it all in. We went before lunch and, having had a cooked breakfast, I thought that would be fine but it was an early breakfast too so I was accompanied by a rumbling tummy thoughout the last hour.  :|

I've also just got tickets for a return visit at the end of June. I've been reading the book from the exhibition over recent months and appear to have several blanks in my memory and photos that I would dearly like to fill and so now I'm delighted to get a chance to focus in more detail on particular dresses this time.

Nevis5

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »
Ooh @Marniesews, how lucky to get another ticket!  I would love, love, love to go again.  I think it was the best exhibition I've ever seen at the V&A (and I go to most).  We spent over two and a half hours in there, the staging was just amazing and there were so many dresses to look at!  Even though the place was absolutely packed we all had a chance to see everything.  Like you, our tummies were rumbling by the end despite a sensible brekkie  :D

I loved the room with all the toiles (so detailed!) and all the miniature dolls with the identical dresses next to them.

Just fantastic.