The Sewing Place

High neck on a leotard too baggy

Georgie

High neck on a leotard too baggy
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
I'm making a leotard with a high neck and cut out back.  For the life of me I can't get the neck to fit right, it's just too baggy, I've tried three times now and it's just not right.  The pattern is not from Jalie or mountain ash which are my two I usually go to places.  I'm wondering if the front not deep enough so pulling it down??
Aka Trickybottom

Marniesews

Re: High neck on a leotard too baggy
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
When you say a high neck, do you mean a jewel neck or does it go right up to the base of the neck where the seam for a turtle neck would sit, for example?

It what way exactly is it too baggy, does it gape or ripple at the front edge? Could be the shoulder slope or the wrong contour for the neck.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Georgie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »
Hi jacky, here's a couple of photos, it's baggy at the front and doesn't sit right at the back, I don't know if it's too short in the body on the back and front and that's what's pulling it down?  I'm really disheartened with it, through it in the bin but really want to know where I went wrong
Aka Trickybottom

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 21:27:24 PM »
If you've used stretch lace in a pattern that was designed for stretch mesh or you've amended an all lycra body for a strech lace insert yourself, have you allowed for stretch lace having a reasonable amount of stretch across but not down, as is normally the case?

Could that be it?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

CarolC

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 22:53:33 PM »
Hello! How frustrating. and it's black,  with black thread one assumes? Always the way, isn't it? :angry:

It does look like it's pulling downwards as if the body is too short (maybe the stretch lace as Jacky says), but the collar itself looks also very large for the neck it's around. That could also be part of the problem, perhaps?

Georgie

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 23:14:38 PM »
I'm just going to put it down to a bad day, thank you all xxx
Aka Trickybottom

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
It looks like the collar is too big to me as well. Can't you just take off the band ( I know - black...) and turn it in with perhaps a bit of elastic to pull it in a touch?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Seam Stress(ed)

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:04:59 AM »
Hi.   It looks like the neckline of the leotard could come up a bit higher before the collar is sewn on.  Also, it is best to cut the collar more to the neck measurement of the dancer and add the necessary amount for the join/overlap at the back, and then stretch it on to the leotard neckline and sew on.

sewing in oz

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 00:37:07 AM »
Looking at the photo, I agree that the leo neckline looks too low and too wide to use a neckband cut as a straight strip.  If you have time, patience and some spare black lycra, could you unpick the existing neckband and replace it with a shaped one?  You might have to wing it a bit on the exact size and shape the neckband would need to be.  Looking at it, my best guess after a wine or two is that it would end up cut as something between a quarter and a half circle, with the outer edge length being the size of the existing neckline.  That shape would sit lower and "flatter" on the neck, but short of raising the actual leo neckline I'm not sure how else you would get a collar to sit properly.