The Sewing Place

Fabrics with really tiny prints

Addiscomber

Fabrics with really tiny prints
« on: April 19, 2019, 14:37:14 PM »
About 25-30 years ago I acquired a set of samples of fabric from Village Fabrics in Wallingford. Amongst them were some really tiny prints. I couldn't afford them at the time, but have more spending money now but Village Fabrics only sell a few pre-packs on line and there is no way that I can get there in person.

I have spent hours searching in vain, and I have no idea of a manufacturer to narrow my search down. Does anyone have any idea whether such fabrics are available now, and if so, where? (I know about http://www.littletrimmings.com/FabricsMenu.aspx but they do not have anything like the range that I am looking for.)

Iminei

Re: Fabrics with really tiny prints
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 14:50:45 PM »
Without a pic or more detailed description how is anyone expected to be able to help???

Colours, subjects, scale ??? ie .... White anchors and seagulls on a royal blue ground, anchors about 1" long

Unlikely that you will be able to find the original fabrics now but you might get a facsimile.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jintie

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 14:51:26 PM »
Can you draw something to scale to give us an idea what you are looking for?
Rottweiler with scissors

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 14:59:18 PM »
They usually stop producing designs after a couple of years, so it's unlikely you'll get the same pattern.
Could you photograph them please and see if anyone recognises them?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 15:37:06 PM »
Google 'dolls house print fabrics', that throws up one or two interesting ones.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 16:27:57 PM »
These fabrics could have come from a number of manufacturers. I don’t remember their names but one who designed tiny prints was Ginny Beyer for RJR Fabrics. She was known for her tone on tone fabrics or blenders in today’s lingo. As someone else said, these fabrics were out of print long ago. I am not familiar with current manufacturers but others must know which manufacturers produce this type of fabric. Or am I totally off the mark here?  -<

Addiscomber

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 17:11:12 PM »
It took me a week or so to pluck up the courage to ask my question on an unfamiliar board. Given the sharpness of the first response it looks as though I was right to be reticent  :'(

I always assumed that they were quilting fabrics as that is what Village Fabrics seem to carry, and I never thought about dolls house fabrics. Thank you fajita for the etsy link. Those are the closest type of thing that I have seen. Thanks also to toileandtrouble for the suggestion of what search term to use on Google.

fajita

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 17:14:37 PM »
@Addiscomber I don't think that @Iminei meant to come across as sharp.
Please don't be put off asking any questions on any of the boards.
I do hope you find something suitable for your purposes.
What is it you've got planned?
 :flower: :drink:

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 17:56:20 PM »
Hi @Addiscomber ,

Welcome to the board. I’ve had a quick look on Ebay. I just typed in ‘tiny print fq’ and lots came up, that you can buy by the fat quarter or metre.

I think you fell foul of Imi’s dry sense of humour- she is always telling off old members of the board for not putting up photos of what they’re talking about, but in a jokey way. As a  new member you wouldn’t realise that. I’m quite sure she didn’t mean to put you off. We’re all very friendly- hope you’ll carry on chatting now you’re here.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 18:20:04 PM »
Also, we are very nosy and want to know what everyone else is working on!  Have fun.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 18:58:55 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 07:19:30 AM »
Have I gone and put my size 3's in it again ??? Oh Gawd, I think I should find a nasty big rock, crawl under it and leave everything well alone.

I didnt mean to be 'sharp' @Addiscomber honestly but it is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string isnt it?

And fabrics specifically for dolls houses???
Who'dve thunk it????

Is that what youre thinking of making for A ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »
There are lots of P&Q fabrics with tiny prints - the problem when you look on line is working out the scale of the prints if there isn't a ruler laid on top of the fabric.

There are lots of online shops for P&Q fabrics willing to sell by the quarter meter or fat quarters/
https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Blenders---Co-ordinates.html
and
https://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/quilting-fabric/
are just the first two which came to mind.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Addiscomber

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
They usually stop producing designs after a couple of years, so it's unlikely you'll get the same pattern.
Could you photograph them please and see if anyone recognises them?
I knew that the chances were that the exact designs had long ago been discontinued, but I was just hoping to find something similar. I'm not sure if I still have the samples. I thought I knew where they were, but they weren't there.

If I remember rightly, there were some Christmas designs with holly leaves and there was one that had a rocking horse, but I don't think that they were all Christmas designs.